Grand Rapids and Cleveland... great stuff

House53House53 Posts: 1,276
edited May 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Mini report from the two great shows I caught this weekend...

first GR: It was great to meet Jof Z... it seemed like we knew each other well, but it was nice to finally meet in person. Now I have a face to associate with my jealousy when new gear comes in... :D

I sat side stage by Mike... great view of the show and mike's side amps and guitar area... definitely the tweeds on stage, but also his trentino and a small box Marshall head running.

I thought Mike's tone was great all night... especially on off he goes where he played a single pup Gretsch style guitar (not sure if it was a Gretsch or a look alike). Stone was a little thin on some songs, but the whole night was great.

So many deep cut style songs... really liked Around the Bend, hard to imagine, Crazy Mary (really good version, Mike and Boom high fived each other after the jam), Corduroy (i don't care how many times I hear it, it is my favorite). The entire second encore was great... Comatose is a killer live song. Baba was great as always...

I drove back from GR to Cleveland (about 4.5 hours)...

Tonight may have been better... the pedal was to the floor all night... I sat Mike's side again, a bit closer.

You can see the setlist, but it was so much energy... Mike was better... Stone was better... Matt was tearing it up... Jeff was sweating up a storm and really into things... I could see Boom enjoying himself... Ed was in another world.

It's OK tagged onto Daughter led to this stretch:

MFC, Immortality, Lukin, DTE, Spin the Black Circle, Porch... WOW... Porch was HUGE... the whole building was going crazy.

Black had a beautiful "we belong" tag with ed singing almost falseto and very quiet at the end... Alive was HUGE as well... at one point Ed got onto the speaker right in front of us and just surveyed the crowd, sort of in awe of 20,000 people screaming along and doing the "yeah's" on the back beat.

the second encore was also great Smile (I had held up a sign for it) and Fuckin' Up were the highlights... cool to see Stone sing a song too.

Great weekend... try to catch them this tour... they are in fine form now...

My morning jacket has some killer stuff too... the lead guitar player was playing P90 les pauls into a Top Hat King Royale... good taste ;)
There's No Code.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,135
    Yeah Mike's tone is great this tour, especially when you can hear it ;)

I think Stone's tone this tour could be his worst tone he has ever had IMO. It's so thin and twangy, with no overdrive or distortion.

But I agree they seem to be in the best fine form. I saw them in Albany and Hartford and they sound fuckin great.

House are you hitting anymore shows? I got Camden 1, ER 1&2, and Gorge 1&2
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Dan it was great to meet you!
    Weird after all these chats online I felt like I knew you forever. I wish we could have met up after the show, but I had to drive back to Chicago. We will do it again!

I thought GR was one of the best setlists ever!
    I think the small arena had a lot to do with it. 10C rocked as usual, my seats near the stage on Mike's side. They came out with a bang and kept it going for 3 hours. They never let up! Satan's Bed, Slieght of Hand! Leatherman, they just kept busting them out.

Ed's tone was much improved, Mike's tone was on and he seemed to be having way more fun. So much in fact the guys seemed to be letting him live it up.
    Anyway, get this BOOTLeg!
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    I wish I had of seen that one. I was spoiled w/ Toronto one and two though.

It is nice to meet people on here as well. I met Thumbing_My_Way in T.O. Cool guy. :)
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    I wish I had of seen that one. I was spoiled w/ Toronto one and two though.

It is nice to meet people on here as well. I met Thumbing_My_Way in T.O. Cool guy. :)

One of these days we are going to have to pick a show in advance and have a get together. The Netherland show would have been perfect ;)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board