Guitar Picks

Vedderlution_BabyVedderlution_Baby Posts: 2,535
edited August 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
So I've heard that most guitar players usually go to thicker picks when they get better, leaving behind the medium picks. Just want to know how come? What do the thick picks have over the medium? Personally, I'd rather have med.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    Haha, I wouldn't consider myself a good guitarist by any means, but from the first day I played guitar, I've always prefered thicker picks. I personally like them more, because I feel like I have more control hitting individual strings, and I like how the thicker picks make the string move without the pick giving way, like how a medium will kind of bend. Does any of that make sense?
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • gobrowns19 wrote:
    Haha, I wouldn't consider myself a good guitarist by any means, but from the first day I played guitar, I've always prefered thicker picks. I personally like them more, because I feel like I have more control hitting individual strings, and I like how the thicker picks make the string move without the pick giving way, like how a medium will kind of bend. Does any of that make sense?

Yea. It's actually kinda funny. I like Medium for the same reasons you don't prefer them.

Neil uses medium. Just thought I'd say that. I'm pretty weird tonight.
    Haha, that's something I didn't know. Did you just mention that Neil thing randomly or knowing that I'm a huge Neil fan? Lol, aaaaah, well, Neil uses them, so I guess I have to....j/k. ;)

But I think that's really cool how one thing is awesome to one person but someone else prefers the other thing.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I like medium picks. That's just me though. Dunlop Tortex Yellow .72 are my favourite.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • No, I just added neil for my own ego.
  • I've grown over the past year or so to play really light/flexible picks, I just like the way they feel I guess.

Playing acoustic I always play with really light ones, and any kind of strumming really.......

Electric, I'll play with mediums every once and a while. :)
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Anyone use an Ebow? I don't really get how it works but I've heard some sound files where someone was using one and shit dude, that's just fucking cool. Too expensive for my broke ass right now though.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    gobrowns19 wrote:
    true, and I mostly play on acoustic...With a thicker pick, I am afraid I will break strings more easily

all4
  • Reasons why mediums are the best...

1. Thick picks move the string too much and when you're picking up/down faster it gets caught. The bend of the medium pick allows it to get to the next string just fast enough. Thick picks are also harder to play quietly. I also don't think they sound as good because it sounds like you're strumming really hard all the time.

2. Thin picks make too much of a flappy sound when you hit the strings and they don't play loudly enough. For example, if you want to strum hard, the pick will "flap" too muchand not vibrate the string enough to get some sound out of it.

Anyway, these are just my opinions. As far as saying that better players use thicker picks, I feel like i see a lot of the good famous guitarist play with mediums.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    I've tried a bunch, and I like the Dunlop M-L, greens.

Medium/Light....best of both worlds? :p
  • I like medium picks. That's just me though. Dunlop Tortex Yellow .72 are my favourite.

ditto, its the perfect combo for me as i strum alot, and play leads. Its also nice when switching between acoustic and electrics becuase it suites both styles.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • elstongunnelstongunn Posts: 285
    dunlop orange .60 for acoustic
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan
  • JSP552003JSP552003 Posts: 222
    dunlop tortex 1 mm here....i did use .88's but recently moved up to 1's after borrowing one from the lead guitarist in my band at practice and i found it easier to play riffs and lead parts because the pick doesn't give as much...but its all just preference really
  • PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    I use the purple dunlop tortex. Its great for shredding on an electric, but for an acoustic I would probably prefer a thinner gauge.

But, its all personal preference (like JSP.. said)
  • J.D.J.D. Posts: 73
    I've used the cheap Fender mediums for so long I can't remember why I like them.

On a side note, the Fender picks do a really cool thing when you light 'em on fire.
  • J.D. wrote:

On a side note, the Fender picks do a really cool thing when you light 'em on fire.

Really?

Any of them?

I'll have to try, I have a few of their Yellow Medium ones lyin' around.

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Tortis by Red Bear!
    20 bones each, but it is the last pick you will ever buy.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
    Really?

Any of them?

I'll have to try, I have a few of their Yellow Medium ones lyin' around.

I always remeber doing it with these, http://shop.donsmusiccity.com/prodshots/SHELPIC.jpg

I imagine any will work though. Hold at one end, apply flame and make sure you have a safe place to drop it!
    JofZ wrote:
    Tortis by Red Bear!

Damn, 20 bones!!

I have to try these. My wife thanks you.
  • J.D. wrote:
    I always remeber doing it with these, http://shop.donsmusiccity.com/prodshots/SHELPIC.jpg

I imagine any will work though. Hold at one end, apply flame and make sure you have a safe place to drop it!

Haha...ok :)

I used to have those Fender picks too, haven't seen them in a while though.

*walks out front door with pick and lighter* ;)

.NJD.
    J.D. wrote:
    I've used the cheap Fender mediums for so long I can't remember why I like them.

Wow, really? Goodbye picks.....
  • JofZ wrote:
    Tortis by Red Bear!

http://www.redbeartrading.com/

Those are intense

.NJD.
  • MetalGod75MetalGod75 Posts: 262
    PJ-Sin wrote:
    I use the purple dunlop tortex. Its great for shredding on an electric, but for an acoustic I would probably prefer a thinner gauge.

But, its all personal preference (like JSP.. said)
    same here the dunlop 1.14mm.never use anything else apart from when playing acoustic.the trick with a thicker pick is to control your attack;)
    Cornell pwns u