advice!

Vedderlution_BabyVedderlution_Baby Posts: 2,535
edited March 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've been trying to get this shit right for awhile now and I just cant get it down. Seems like the pulloff isn't coming through enough but I've been trying the best i can. any advice?

first part:
|
|
|-13-15b17b15p13----13-15b17b15p13----13---15b17b15p13----13--15b17b15p13----|
|
14-|
|
|
|
|
|
|

second:
|----20-p17
20-p17
20-p17
20-p17
20-p17
20b22-|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

I can't get that "spinning" sound (thats what it sounds like it to me anyway)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    What song?

What tempo?
  • Stairway To Heaven solo
  • Easy.

-Hold the 20th fret

-hold another finger on the 17th across both the E and B strings

-pluck string

-release the finger that's on the 20th fret, thus allowing the sound to remain playing at the pitch of the 17th fret.

-pluck the b string on the 17th.

repeat as fast as possible.

helpful?
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Easy.

-Hold the 20th fret

-hold another finger on the 17th across both the E and B strings

-pluck string

-release the finger that's on the 20th fret, thus allowing the sound to remain playing at the pitch of the 17th fret.

-pluck the b string on the 17th.

repeat as fast as possible.

helpful?

I've been doing that but it just isn't sounding right. I dont really know why. Guess i gotta keep practicing! Damn. after watching a 10 y.o. pull off the solo, im wondering whats the point.
  • Just practice. You fingers may not be strong enough yet. Or just on a hunch you may be picking up the finger on the 17th fret, thus not allowing the sound to continue when you perform the pull off..

Try doing it picking every note first.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    This is like a basic sweep, where you drag teh pick across successive strings at just teh right speed to create invidual pick attacks rather than just a strum, and interject teh pull-off at teh correct point so teh tempo is even. It is played more in triplet rhythm to get teh "spinning" sound , rather than an even interval

It just takes a lot of practice. I use a metronome a lot to develop these skills, though sometimes it is worth just going crazy and attacking as hard and fast as you can, even if it is really sloppy. Then when you come back to the correct speed, things seem slower.

You need to use an upsweep rather than a downward pick attack. There is lot to be gained from a lesson in pick direction economy from a shredderr who knows. I did this and was subsequently able to play stuff which had previously eluded me.

The first sequence you tabbed is different. It is a really common motif to bend up and release and then play teh next tnoe on the lower string. Just more practice, starting really slow to get teh feel of the movement and slowly increase the tempo until it is easier than breathing.
    Music is not a competetion.