I have a question that I need answered NOW

jamitjamit Posts: 49
edited June 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have my first guitar lesson in a few hours and I need to know what all I need to take with me. Like do I need to take my amp or just my guitar?

...i'm nervous. I hope it goes well. :)
YOU ARE..FAITHFULL, but no TREMOR CHRIST, and there's a DEAD MAN..GIVEN TO FLY

"I feel the same way about disco as I do herpes" -Hunter S. Thompson
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    phone them and ask.

and have fun.
  • djyman15djyman15 Posts: 181
    probably just your guitar, they usually have 2 channels on their amps (guitar teachers that is). Its awkward haha. I remember my first, struggling to play "glycerine" by Bush. oh dear the bad old days
    "Even if your heart would listen, I doubt I could explain"-Jimmy Eat World
  • jamitjamit Posts: 49
    the lesson went allright. he's teaching me how to play Evenflow, but I can't get it to sound anything like the actual song. Oh well, I'm going to keep on practicing :)

• solsurfrsolsurfr Posts: 207
    I would think EF would be a hard one for a first time guitarist. Why not start with something easier like Small Town or any other 3 chord song?
  • jamitjamit Posts: 49
    A three chord song!! put me to sleep. j/k actually, I've been practicing and I'm almost there. A few days of dedicated guitaring and listening really close to the cd and some live versions and I should have it down pat. I stumble through it now but basically I can do it. :) yay go mark the guitar instructor! and I'm not exactly a beginner. I've been really playing for a little less than a year and i pretty much have the chords down. I'm taking lessons because I don't have the self-motivation to get through an entire song. I was sick of just learning intros.

~PEACE~

• CadenceCadence Posts: 16
    the first songs i learned were "one" by metallica and "rooster" by alice in chains. i miss simplicity.
    the ablitly to quote is a serviceable substituion for wit.
  • a_gherkina_gherkin Posts: 77
    Originally posted by Cadence
    the first songs i learned were "one" by metallica and "rooster" by alice in chains. i miss simplicity.

so i guess that was 'one' minus the solos, otherwise not so simple, either that or you are one gifted guitarist!
  • CadenceCadence Posts: 16
    Originally posted by a_gherkin
    so i guess that was 'one' minus the solos, otherwise not so simple, either that or you are one gifted guitarist!

ha, i wish! yeah, most of the solo stuff i couldn't do...still can't actually...but i haven't been playing that long.
    the ablitly to quote is a serviceable substituion for wit.
  • solsurfrsolsurfr Posts: 207
    Originally posted by jamit
    A three chord song!! put me to sleep. j/k actually, I've been practicing and I'm almost there. A few days of dedicated guitaring and listening really close to the cd and some live versions and I should have it down pat. I stumble through it now but basically I can do it. :) yay go mark the guitar instructor! and I'm not exactly a beginner. I've been really playing for a little less than a year and i pretty much have the chords down. I'm taking lessons because I don't have the self-motivation to get through an entire song. I was sick of just learning intros.

~PEACE~

why even bother with intros if you aren't going to learn the songs? keep going to lessons if you want to challenge yourself. if you are getting bored, you may need a different approach in learning. I went thru that phase too until I decided I wanted to be in a band and jam with other people. I now sit down and have an agenda when I practice. Sometimes, I just do exercises for an hour or so before I even get to songs and even then, I may work on scales for another hour. Another great thing to have is a CD full of jam tracks. This is a lot of fun to do when you are by yourself. Either way, if you want to learn the guitar, learn it the right way. It's pretty pointless to noodle around if you aren't getting anything out of it. Have a plan when you sit down with your guitar and see it thru. Your playing will improve so much if you do this.
  • cltaylor12cltaylor12 Posts: 125
    Don't forget your PICK!
  • cableguy119cableguy119 Posts: 114
    Originally posted by jamit
    [I stumble through it now but basically I can do it. :)
    I'm not exactly a beginner. I've been really playing for a little less than a year and i pretty much have the chords down. I'm taking lessons because I don't have the self-motivation to get through an entire song. I was sick of just learning intros.
    [/B]
    Call the shop and find out what you need to bring.

I am having the discussion with my wife this evening about this same topic I am tired of messing around with just chords, intro's and messing around. I need to get the feedback of playing with others and that starts with getting better and taking some lessons. I have a ton of technique issues that need some working out and I am sure it will be one of those where I may know of a few kinks but the instructor will probably point out more and maybe we work a few out maybe we don't. As it was said by my piano teacher "Unless you trying to be a world class player have some fun and we can forget about perfect form just hit the notes and have some fun with it" Was great for a teacher to let me break the rules and as long as I hit the notes no one realy cared that the fingering wasn't perfect.

Local shop has a 4 lesson + guitar package for 89.95 so you get 4 individual lessons plus a crappy acoustic after the 4 weeks is over or $89.95 towards another guitar in their inventory. So I would have paid $65 for 4 lessons and now I pay $90 and get it as credit towards new guitar purchase that is win/win good luck
    So many amazing shows! Thank you.