Different vocal styles

thewaxtadpolethewaxtadpole Posts: 50
edited May 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm doing some guest vocals on a track for the first album of a friend's band. Problem is, it's a completely different style than what I'm used to. It's a fairly soft song, but it's punk rock, which I have never sung seriously before.

Anyone have any tips on how to make it sound better? Every time I've tried, my voice starts sounding airy and choked near the end. The song sounds a bit like "Yellow Ledbetter" when done properly.
I've noticed that our senators
have very funny names.
Like Lincoln, Zell, and Saxby.
What's wrong with things like "James"?
I think that this is crazy.
I think that it should stop.
I think this is the reason
They confirmed John Ashcroft.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• brandonsmombrandonsmom Posts: 19
    Make sure that you are using breathing exersizes and can breath easily while singing. It sounds like you are running out of breath near the end. It's also possible that it is not played in a key that you can sing in. (I don't sing, but my sister does.) Even if you are in punk rock, it pays to invest in a vocal coach..because your voice is an instrument..Good Luck! MOM
    I am a bear of little brain and long words bother me. WTP
  • mendicant_1mendicant_1 Posts: 39
    breeeeeeeeeeeeath baby!!!! It's the MOST important thing about singing,....make sure you are taking breaths before you go into the next line or a chorus or a apart where you have to hit it hard,...i used to have the same problem with finishing lines and etc,....you just have to breath better,,...practice
    Your head will collapse if there's nothing in it -Black Francis
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    All very good tips.....breathing is the key, but it is also important that you sing in your own voice and not try to mimic another "different sounding" voice....it causes more strain on your vocal folds/ chords.
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see