Household appliances

thewaxtadpolethewaxtadpole Posts: 50
edited August 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
My band, which has a combined budget of around $67.42, recently wrote a song that requires a lot of soft, strange extra percussion. Since we cannot afford a good set of congas or kulintangs, we plan to use household appliances, such as pepper mills and Nestea bottles.

Does anyone have any suggestions, possibly from past experience, on which assorted articles make good persussion instruments?
I've noticed that our senators
have very funny names.
Like Lincoln, Zell, and Saxby.
What's wrong with things like "James"?
I think that this is crazy.
I think that it should stop.
I think this is the reason
They confirmed John Ashcroft.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Cool!

You can make all kinds of stuff with P.V.C. drain pipes. (cheap at the home center) It's easy to cut and drill holes in to make flutes or tuned boinky things, or fill with dried beans and make shakers. Coffee cans and paper roll tubes make good shakers too.
    Cardboard milk or orange juice containers filled with beans or seeds work, too.

Also those five gallon plastic buckets can be used for drums and carrying stuff. (check at a construction site and usually the white buckets are everywhere.)

Have fun:D

And if you ever want to see the ultimate in homemade stuff, go see the musical, "Stomp"
    It's unbelievable what they use to make noise, like matchbooks and trash can lids and toilet paper rolls. That's a classic show.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • in 8th grade we did a song with tons of home made things. we used coffee cans filled with rice as shakers, the outside of soup cans with a drum stick (or pen or whatever) rubbing against it makes a cool sound, empty gallons filled with water is cool too. Cut (2) 2x4's to hand-held sizes, then hit them together.blow into beer bottles, hit them with drum sticks (hit them in different places to get different sounds). jingle keys. use two garbage cans as crash symbols. also snaps, stomps, whistles, or other body sounds work fine as well. Anything will work. just remember to be creative.
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by who's_pearljam?
    Cool!

You can make all kinds of stuff with P.V.C. drain pipes. (cheap at the home center) It's easy to cut and drill holes in to make flutes or tuned boinky things, or fill with dried beans and make shakers. Coffee cans and paper roll tubes make good shakers too.
    Cardboard milk or orange juice containers filled with beans or seeds work, too.

Also those five gallon plastic buckets can be used for drums and carrying stuff. (check at a construction site and usually the white buckets are everywhere.)

Have fun:D

And if you ever want to see the ultimate in homemade stuff, go see the musical, "Stomp"
    It's unbelievable what they use to make noise, like matchbooks and trash can lids and toilet paper rolls. That's a classic show.

Stomp was amazing. Good reference,
    and welcome home.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.