What acoustic guitar should I buy?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited November 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Is it worth it to buy anything other than a martin or Taylor?

Should I buy directly from them or go to Guitar Center?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Up to you. Try out other guitars. I like a lot of the Fender ones. Takamine has good ones, too. Try 'em out, all over the place. NO GUITAR IS EXACTLY THE SAME, remember that :)
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Art and Lutherie makes AMAZING guitars for the money, as does Seagul, their 'higher end' company..
    How much do you want to spend? Have you played before? Do you want a pickup in it? These are all important qeustions!!!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    Seagul S6 is an amazing guitar at a great price point.

Check out their entire line. You get a lot more for your money than Taylor or Martin in my opinion
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Martin and Taylor are both great guitars, and you can't really go wrong with either (and will pay for the quality too). But as everyone said, go play a bunch of guitars before you buy anything.

Also, pay attention to body style as they affect the sound of the guitar and nut width, as it impacts how easy the guitar will be to play for you. My personal preference is a dread or jumbo with a small-ish nut (1 11/16")

One of my favorite guitars that was on the cheaper side was a Larivee OM-03 that I picked up off craigslist for 650 bucks (they should be sub 1000 new). It is very taylor-like in it's playability and sound.

edit: also, you can't buy directly from Martin, you have to go through a dealer. I suspect this is probably the case with taylor as well.
  • SnakeSnake Posts: 2,605
    Well I have a Washburn. Not exactly the best but it sounds nice. Ive played a Taylor before, they sound amazing and you can feel how expensive they are :D . But like its been said before, all sound different, just find one that you love.
    Pirates had democracy too.

"Its a secret to everybody."
  • Well, you forgot one of the big three... Gibson is right up with Taylor and Martin. And there are a ton of small luthiers out there turning out instruments that would shame all three.

There are strong advantages and disadvantages to any instrument, and acoustic instruments are a special breed. Martins tend to be nice and bright, but lack body; Taylors really shine when plugged in; and Gibsons will be boxy but project well and generally have a warmer tone. If one guitar was definitively better than the others, then all the pro's who could afford one would just play that one. But as you notice, if you pay attention, musicians have chosen among thousands of guitars, not just one or two.

First thing for me is body shape, which translates into comfort while playing. Body shape (dreadnaught, auditorium, jumbo, parlor) will affect your strumming/picking arm's position, as will body depth. The scale will affect the other arm, so if you have shorter arms you may want a slightly shorter scale. You also need to determine whether you need a cutaway or not; having a cutaway gives access to the higher frets (above 12 or 14 fret, depending on the guitar's neck joint position) whereas a non-cutaway will have a slightly purer acoustic sound because of the full body shape.

Also keep in mind construction. Wood type, and solid wood vs. laminate, will be a huge determinant. The old-school standard is a solid spruce top with solid mahogany back and sides, but that has exploded to include lots of variations. Solid woods will generally resonate better and have better tone, but they will change dramatically over time and with exposure to different temperatures and humidity levels. If you lived in Key West where the temp and humidity are the same all year long, no problem... if you lived in Alaska, I'd think hard about getting a good guitar with a solid top and laminate (think GOOD plywood) back and sides. Also, be aware that guitars are being made entirely of mahogany, or with cedar tops, or all cherrywood, or spruce with rosewood back and sides. As you play guitars, try to find out what species and type (lam vs. solid) of wood it's made out of. You start to develop a preference and learn the differences as you play a bunch.

The next question is whether to get electronics or not. Having electronics allows for plugging in on stage, so that's great, but there are a few drawbacks. If you buy an acoustic-electric, you want to make sure the electronics sound good to you, not just the guitar itself. If you get a guitar that sounds great unplugged, but sounds buzzy or weird on stage, it can be hard to swap out for another pickup that sounds better. Also, cutting a hole in the side of a guitar and inserting a big plastic preamp panel (some with a 9volt battery inside) will compromise the unplugged tone of your guitar. There are aftermarket pickups that don't require a preamp panel, so they preserve the acoustic tone of the instrument, but then you don't have control of the electronics easily at hand. If you want this guitar primarily for playing on stage, find a great guitar with great electronics and get the preamp controls on the guitar. If you want to record, or play for people unplugged, get a straight acoustic, and if needed, add an aftermarket pickup later.

As for where to buy, I'd shop stuff at Guitar Center just because they'll probably have the largest number of guitars to play at one place. And don't be afraid to try some cheaper guitars out, because there are a few that will surprise you. But if there is a *good* independently-owned shop near you, then I'd recommend checking them out. The big difference is that most independent shops will set up a guitar when they get it, and they'll likely do a better job than some of the lackeys at GC. You never know, maybe your local GC has a decent guitar tech (probably by accident) and you'll get a good setup on a guitar there, or maybe the factory setup was good and it survived shipping. But I'd hit a few stores and play a bunch of guitars. You'll probably walk away from the 4th or 5th store, and have a good idea of which guitar (or which 3 guitars) felt best. Usually, there is a "THE" guitar for every player.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I'd recommend an upper end Taylor (after 9+ years of hard play, a few tours, a re-fret, and countless studio
    sessions, my 814-CE still plays and sounds really wonderful - I've had studio engineers leave their booth and
    come into the live room to check it, stum a few chords, etc, etc because it truthfully sounds that good).
    I don't think you can buy most guitars direct from the company, generally you have to go through a dealer.
    I know that some companies allow you to buy direct, but if you look at their direct prices many times it's
    more than just buying from a dealer (Visual Sound is an example of a company that has higher direct prices).
    Just check out http://www.MusiciansFriend.com and you'll see the standard prices in most stores.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Is it worth it to buy anything other than a martin or Taylor?

Should I buy directly from them or go to Guitar Center?

just go play lots. and don't go in with a preconception of what you're going to buy as far as make. just pick your price range and play everything.
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    If you're looking at Taylors.. I would suggest you try from the 500 series on up. It's my opinion that 400 series on down are not as good as other guitars in that price range. I currently own a 814 ce which is good live, but it sometimes has limitations in the studio.. as far as miking it unplugged and getting a sound I'm happy with.

I used to own a Martin HD-28V.. that guitar was amazing in the studio. The forward shifted scallops made that guitar boom out with such ferocity, so if you were in a good room and had a good mic a little further away, it sounded awesome!

Like it was already said though, all guitars are different.
    I know a guy who has a D41 that is unlike any other Martin I've played. I've tried out a lot of D41's, but that particular D41 is flawless in every way. Some guitars are going to be better than others.. even though they are the exact same model. The good thing about Guitar Center is that they'll keep ordering you new ones until you are happy with one... atleast that's what they did with me.

If money is no object, then I would suggest a Taylor PS14. My friend owns one, and it is probably the best guitar I've ever played.
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • ccpaccpa Posts: 32
    You really need to nail a price range down. I think martins sound great but Taylors play better. IMHO, neither are worth the price. Gibsons look cool, play good, sound ok. Not worth the price either (but I do love my clasic LP). I say that BC I've done what these guys are suggesting.

Go to a store and play them. Bring a friend with you BC the various brands project their sound differently. Have him play it and you listen. Have him blindly give you guitars to play. You will definately hear and feel the difference.

Then look at the prices and brands and decide with your ear and feeling. The results may surprise you. Be sure to include a seagull in there.
  • I always moon over really nice acoustics... vintage Gibson dreadnaughts (J-45, J-50, J-55 from mid-70's and older) and newer Larrivee and Martin OM guitars are my vices lately. I personally don't like the *idea* of a Taylor, in the same way I don't like the *idea* of a Paul Reed Smith... they're just too good... but if I was playing an acoustic on stage more than once a week, I'd probably try a few Taylors out. As a sound engineer, I know that Taylors ALWAYS sound great plugged in. I've never had that consistently good plugged-in sound from any other acoustic. Recently, I was gearing up for a spate of acoustic gigs, and was halfheartedly looking at Variax 300 acoustics on fleaBay. They're lousy guitars unplugged, and have a bolt-on neck, but for about $300, you get a pretty solid plugged-in tone and some decent adjustability for little gigs.

All that said, the acoustic I play the most right now (gigs AND at home) is a little $200 Art & Lutherie Ami. It's a parlor-sized (SMALL) acoustic, made by Godin, the same company that makes Seagull and Simon & Patrick. It's a solid cherry top, with laminate mahogany back and sides. I put a contact pickup by Schatten in it a couple years ago, and recently picked up a Radial Tonebone PZ-Pre to shape the sound from the pickup. The reason I picked a $200 student guitar for myself? It had mojo. I picked it up for no reason, just killing time while a friend bought picks at the guitar store, and was blown away. I played two others that were in the store, same model, and both lacked that certain something that mine has. It's in the cellular makeup of the grain of the wood, the mood of the guy who fretted the neck, the temperature of the press that molded the sides, the tolerance of the machine that cut the braces... so many intangibles, you never know how any individual guitar is going to sound until you play it. So play as many as possible. You'll find one that has mojo.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Wow.. Not one breath for Guild? I've been playing my Guild D55 for about 4 years now.. Beautiful guitar visually and has an amazing sound.. Plays like a dream.. Highly recommended!

Oh yeah.. here's a pic: http://secure.serverlab.net/shop/graphics/00000002/d55.jpg
  • It depends how much money do you own.I recently tried A Martin 00015 It's purely amazing.But Some cheap models could be great Epiphone AJ 18S for instance (around 300 bux)
    "Actually we could do a commercial for Dodge, Can't Find A Better Van"
    E.V