Jimmy Page

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited October 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Did he really get into drug use in the late 70's? I cant find any info about it. Its scary to think how good he could have been had he not gotten into drugs. My first cd was Led Zeppelin 4. And I have always loved Led Zep. But I have only recently been listening to them nonstop. Jimmy Page is unreal.

I just can't picture how amazing he would have been, if the drugs hadnt of come into the picture. The guy is without a doubt trailing on Hendrix on my list of top guitarists EVER. I mean, how do you explain that to your kids if your Jimmy page. WHen they ask what he did for a living, he can say "I was the 2nd greatest guitarist in history". Unbelievable
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• you've only gotta watch the Zep DVD with footage of Earls court 1975 and Knebworth 1979 for your answer about Page's drug abuse.The difference in Page over the 4 years is unreal.He was into H in the late 70's early 80's i read somewhere that he actually stopped eating too and to get his vitamins he only drank banana dacharies!
    Cornell pwns u
  • I think the biggest issue that affected his playing was the drinking.

Whenver Page would drink like a fish, his playing would deteriate at a logorithmic scale. Some really slop there at times.

:)
  • Bob WeirBob Weir Posts: 850
    The only problem Page had with drugs is that he didn't take enough or he would have been better than Hendrix but Hendrix took more drugs so he wins.
    But it makes sense Hendrix was cooler so he got much more pure heroin than Page did.

Just kidding Look at the differance in SRV between 83 and 89 when he got clean, went from great to the greatest wish others had enough time to clean up before they died.
    I need a fix 'cause I'm going down
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    MetalGod75 wrote:
    you've only gotta watch the Zep DVD with footage of Earls court 1975 and Knebworth 1979 for your answer about Page's drug abuse.The difference in Page over the 4 years is unreal.He was into H in the late 70's early 80's i read somewhere that he actually stopped eating too and to get his vitamins he only drank banana dacharies!

ha! i knowit,he looks so freakin skinny in some of that dvd.
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • towards the last 2-3 years of Zeppelin he did so much Heroin that he couldnt even play half the time

when he was with the Yardbirds he was outstanding!! My dad has a Vinyl of when Jeff Beck and Page were in the yardbirds when the Record was only released for 2 days, sounds amazing

I worship Page, and i think he sounded the best in 73 and 75, plus his work with the Yardbirds
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • He definitely used to get twisted.
    The only time I ever had a chance to "meet" him, was when I lived in LA in the late 70's early 80's and was touring with bands. There was a party at his house, and my musician friends and I went, got there, but the party was cancelled because he was passed out in the front yard of his house! They sent everyone home. So there was my brush with the great Jimmy Page. Zonked on his front lawn in a stupor at 8:00 pm.
    I said hi,,, but he never heard it. :(

A few years ago, I saw the Jimmy Page and Black Crowes show in Philly,, and he had some weight on him, and he looked great!
    That show was great, and it was all about the moments when he stepped forward for a solo,,, it was transcendental!! He had it all! He still had that intense "just on the edge of a train wreck" sense of drama when he played. I love that stuff! :cool:
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart