guitar or vacation

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
To all those who don't like my posts, here is your cue to leave. I need some helpful hints here.
I am serious. Thanks

I am in a dilemma. I was hoping some of y’all could help.

I have lived in Oregon my whole life. I am metaphorically lost. I need to find America. And I wanted to go see some places, like Berkeley or Madison, or San Francisco, Arcata and see if those places are more to my liking. I kind of feel burnt out in terms of the war and activism. I feel angry and upset. I need to leave Oregon. The movies The Graduate (without the love-interest), Easy Rider, Midnight Cowboy and other such movies are movies that describe my feelings and state of mind. Another clue as to how I feel is the Simon and Garfunkel song America.

My plan was to go see shows, like PJ or Dylan, or Radiohead, Tool, Lollapalooza, and then stay in those places I listed above. Looks like it will be an expensive summer, all these bands are touring.

Anyways, music is my life. It is my everything. It is the only thing in my life that is always there. It is everything to me.

I bought an acoustic over the summer, but wanted to buy an electric telecaster strat and amp also.

Heres my dilemma: if I go to see all these bands and stay in those states and kind of “look for America”, figure out some things about my self and the world, that means I will spend a lot of money, all of my savings, on concerts and on hotels etc…

And if I buy a fender strat and amp, that will be a ton of money as well.

I don’t think I can do both. In my view, I need both. I don’t think I can wait another year to go and travel. I need to do it this summer, I need to figure out things.

But I also feel I need the music and the guitar. It is what calms me and simultaneously calls me to action. It is the only way I can express my feelings and express my anger or whatever emotion I feel.

I want to travel this summer, but I also want a guitar, but I don’t think I have the cash to do both. Doing either of these things will completely deplete my money.

Please, can anyone help me decide, or give advice. I wish I could do both, but it doesn’t seem like that is very possible. I just have enough for a trip to see all those bands, or just to buy the guitar.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    I think the trips/shows will be a bit more than the guitar/amp. My suggestion is for the guitar/amp merely because you can spend any chosen amount of time on it being creative, not to mention mastering a few PJ songs on the way. You can probably eke out going to a show or two/one road trip and a telecaster since that + a decent amp will probably run you about $400-500 depending on what kind of deal you can strike up.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=163636

Travel! Buy a shitty second hand guitar. You can always buy a better one later. Travelling is the greatest thing anyone can do with their time and money. Nothing beats the experiences I've had while travelling.
    It doesn't matter if you're male, female, or confused; black, white, brown, red, green, yellow; gay, lesbian; redneck cop, stoned; ugly; military style, doggy style; fat, rich or poor; vegetarian or cannibal; bum, hippie, virgin; famous or drunk-you're either an asshole or you're not!

-C Addison