Guitar question

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited May 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I am thinking about buying a guitar. I would say i am heavily influenced by PJ and Nirvana and the whole seattle scene. yet i also have softer side in that I am a fan of Ani Difranco, Dylan, and other folk artists

Basically my question is, i only have money for either a acoustic or electric guitar. Is one better than the other? What should i do?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    Are you a beginner? If so, buy electric. You can imitate many more sounds and it is easier to play because generally it has lower string height than acoustic.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • KovoKovo Posts: 255
    I played acoustic for a year before I bought an electric. I started playing when I was 12, so I didn't appreciate the acoustic as much as I do now. I suggest an electric, it's more versatile.
    I shouldn't have to fight a battle I'll never win, just to lose those I've never had.
  • Thin Air 211Thin Air 211 Posts: 114
    acoustic, in my opinion.
    `~.:.~`.History doesn't make something right`~.:.~`
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,281
    i started on a cheap acoustic. everyone says that starting on an electric is easier and i'd probably say they are right.

a) string height is much lower on electric = easier on the fingers and easier to get a true sound (stings can buzz on an acoustic if not held down all the way)
    b) strings are smaller on an electric= easier on the fingers and hands

my first acoustic had 12's on it so i went through a lot of pain and horrible sound when i first started (still use 12s).
    one thing cool about starting on an acoustic though is that when you pick up your first electric you'll be amazed how fast and easy it is to play the same songs on the electric.
  • mca47 wrote:
    i started on a cheap acoustic. everyone says that starting on an electric is easier and i'd probably say they are right.

a) string height is much lower on electric = easier on the fingers and easier to get a true sound (stings can buzz on an acoustic if not held down all the way)
    b) strings are smaller on an electric= easier on the fingers and hands

my first acoustic had 12's on it so i went through a lot of pain and horrible sound when i first started (still use 12s).
    one thing cool about starting on an acoustic though is that when you pick up your first electric you'll be amazed how fast and easy it is to play the same songs on the electric.

That about sums it up. I started on electric when I was 12 and got hooked. When I bought my first shitty acoustic, about six months later, it was like having to learn how to play all over again. Electric might be a bit easier to pick up, but I'm not sure if it is worth investing in an amp as well. You may decide it is not your thing, don't have the time, etc.
  • The ManThe Man Posts: 15
    electric as everyone has already pointed out has a lower fret action (easier to hold strings down) when i first started i played my electric and my sisters boyfriends acoustic so i had the best of both worlds. and anyways if you still cant choose why not go for an electro-acoustic?
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Look at some of the Godin guitars...they have electrics with piezo pickups in 'em that will give you acoustic-like sounds as well. They are very versatile instruments, and built very well for the money :)

Good luck, and congrats on deciding to get a guitar. You'll get to use both sides of your brain, which will do some things for you that have nothing to do with guitar :)
  • betrrmann14betrrmann14 Posts: 12
    My personal opinion is its better to start on acoustic if you're truly serious about playing. Eventually you'll get better, and you'll begin to want different sounds. By starting on acoustic, you'll be able to play both a helluva lot easier than if you started on electric, then wanted acoustic. (see previous post). I started playing with determination about a year ago, and I'm so glad I started on acoustic.
    You're crazy man...
    I like you, but you're crazy.

~Frank the Tank
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    My personal opinion is its better to start on acoustic if you're truly serious about playing. Eventually you'll get better, and you'll begin to want different sounds. By starting on acoustic, you'll be able to play both a helluva lot easier than if you started on electric, then wanted acoustic. (see previous post). I started playing with determination about a year ago, and I'm so glad I started on acoustic.

+1 couldn't agree more. Start with the acoustic, you'll thank your self down the road, trust me!
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    Dude,...I always have this arguement with my new guitar player/ best friend. He is trying to teach his girl how to play guitar and so he is lending her an electric to learn. Bottom line, from a guitar players point of view...Acoustic is harder to play! Why start with something that is easier and then try to switch to something harder??....personally I say "bring it on"....if you can learn to play acoustic WELL first, then the switch to an electric later on should be a breeze. If you can bend acoustic strings...elec's are no probs.

Sure, my buddy's a great guitarist...but I've never seen him play an acoustic...not once. Bottom line...Start hard and it'll get easier down the road. Patience is a virtue, and getting the "exact sounds" of certain rock songs is not as important as learning how to play rhythm properly! Plus, I've never seen an electric being played at the lake around a camp fire!
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • learn on an acoustic. Its a bit harder at first but trust me it pays off.

Plus you'd have to spend more money on an amp with an electric and could get a better acoustic guitar probably.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • nailz100 wrote:
    Dude,...I always have this arguement with my new guitar player/ best friend. He is trying to teach his girl how to play guitar and so he is lending her an electric to learn. Bottom line, from a guitar players point of view...Acoustic is harder to play! Why start with something that is easier and then try to switch to something harder??....personally I say "bring it on"....if you can learn to play acoustic WELL first, then the switch to an electric later on should be a breeze. If you can bend acoustic strings...elec's are no probs.

Sure, my buddy's a great guitarist...but I've never seen him play an acoustic...not once. Bottom line...Start hard and it'll get easier down the road. Patience is a virtue, and getting the "exact sounds" of certain rock songs is not as important as learning how to play rhythm properly! Plus, I've never seen an electric being played at the lake around a camp fire!
    yes, exactly :cool:
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • WhiteMaleRatWhiteMaleRat Posts: 301
    GOOD - I have a cheapo acoustic I learned a year ago. I'm OK, but not that good yet. Question is, when should I go electric?
    "This guy back here is giving me the ole one more....one more back to you buddy."

- Mr. Edward Vedder 7/11/03

• nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    I don't really think there is a definate answer for that. I think it is when you think you are ready, when you are proficient enough as a player, and when you have enough money to buy some gear.
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • FNYNKEZFNYNKEZ Posts: 75
    It's easier to learn on an acoustic. Even though the actions higher off the fret board, it's more forgiving in terms of mistakes, and you build up your finger strength quicker. Once you've gotten the hang of it and move on to electric the electric comes alot easier.

Plus if you don't yet know if you are going to stick with it, with an acoustic you don't have to deal with buying an amp or effects.
    I never really cared about you
    I never really got to thinking about you
  • bigmuzzbigmuzz Posts: 299
    i was playing an acoustic for about 1 1/2 years before i got an electric, so it was an easy transition.

i like the sound of acoustics way better, but when i wanna rock out i just turn my electric up to full distort and jam.

i wanna get an acoustic/electric now, so i can have the both of best worlds, at the same time! :)
    Sydney Wed 8 Nov 2006....

when all are one and one is all, to be a rock and not to roll.........

see me @ www.myspace.com/bigmuzz

keep on rockin!.......