Decision

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I am in a bit of a quandry. Heres the scoop: I grew up loving rock music, my first musical memories are of listening to PJ, Alice in CHains, SOundgarden and pearl jam in 1991. I grew up on rock music. Then in 2002 I started getting into hip hop. I am a fan of the more underground and poetic groups.

My problem is this, I have about a 1,200 dollars or so. I am not sure about what I should spen my money on. I could buy turntables, a mixer and some records and go for the hip hop route. Or I could go the rock route and spend it on a guitar and amp. Also, I am not sure about whether a electric or acoustic guitar is better. So thats my choice, spend it all on a turntable or on a guitar.

Its tough because I love both genres of music. Both have influenced me immensely. I wouldnt be the person I am if I hadnt of heard Ten or Nevermind or Times they are a changin. I wouldnt be the person I am if I hadnt heard "Takes a nation of millions to hold us back", or Low end theory, or Stakes is High.

What do y'all think I should do?

Both of these options are expensive, turntables arent cheap, neither are guitars.

I dont know what to do.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Spook FishSpook Fish Posts: 241
    Get the Guitar & Amp man, it will last you a lifetime (playing that is) there is something magical about playing a guitar that nothing can touch. much more impressive than spinning black plastic of other peoples music. (IMO) dont get me wrong, some hip DJ's are amazing and skilled up, but a guitar is one of those things in this fucked world that is truly a piece of art that breeds art and has infinate possibilities. a guitar will pull things out of yourself you never knew that were there.......
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
  • You could always buy 2 cheaper versions of both and then see what new crazy sounds you can come up with!

Tuff choice though! Good luck!
    [Kitchener 05 - London 05 - Hamilton 05 - Toronto 05 - Astoria 06 - Dublin 06 - Leeds 06 - Reading 06 - Wembley 07] -- I think I've had enough ....
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I say shop for both for a while and let it naturally gravitate, you could actually work both your music tastes in to your hip hop. There are literally tons of options you could choose, or even both as suggested above. I almost want to just suggest the turntables because theres so much cool stuff going on in that realm right now especially beat creation and etc. Both have a learning curve obviously and I know you'll probably eventually want both, I just think turn tables would give you away to enjoy both styles and blend them toegther if you so choose. Definately take your time, put a few guitars in your hands in a few different amps, ask questions, check out turntables, ask questions. Don't be in a hurry and you'll be happier in the end.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    You could get an AKAI MPC 2000 (the ultimate Hip Hop tool) and make the beats instead of mixing them, this would allow you to mix drums, Guitar, Bass and do whole tracks (if thats your bag). it has an amazing built in sampler. personally, mixing records and playing guitars are 2 totally different things and i would do one or the other, but hey - maybe you could do something new with that set up!

for $1200 you could probably get the MPC second hand and a cheaper set of decks & Mixer, do really wild sets of unique beats & Vinyl. as Pac Master said, take your time.
  • Here's my opinion, playing guitar will last you a lifetime. It is one of those things that you can keep doing no matter how old you are and up till the day you die. You can take your whole life to get better and playing just to satisfy yourself is all that matters. Look at Keith Richards, tony iommi, bb king, etc. These guys are still jammin away. Hell, even Eddie and the boys are getting up there in years.
    How many old hip hoppers are there around? I really don't know. I think not alot.
    My point is, get the guitar. Really, do you want to be like Linkin Park or 311?
    Ultimately, choose what your heart desires.
    " A toast to Buffalo...who new it could be so beautiful..." EV 5/2/03

" This one's for the home team...."
    Eddie before they broke out Rats 5/12/06

Buffalo 5/2/03
    Albany 5/12/06
  • SquidgeSquidge Posts: 145
    Get the guitar man, if you get a good quaity stick and amp, look after it by keeping the guitar in a case, nice cool dry place then if you aren't feeling it after a few years you can still sell it for a tidy sum and buy some decks. They deppreciate (spelt right?) very slowly apparently. I used to DJ a few years back, stopped after 3 - 4 years and ultimately bought an acoustic guitar...best thing i ever did.

Now i am working on a project guitar that is like, the second most exciting thing in my life at the moment. No wait, girlfriend first, guitar playing second....third most exciting thi...no, wait PJ's new album so fourth most ex...no, PJ'll be touring so call it the SIXTH most exciting thing in my life at the moment.
  • StinkfootStinkfoot Posts: 546
    I've got no idea which route you should take.....maybe just get in the car with your money and see where the road takes you :)...

I just wanted to thank you for the Low End Theory mention. QUALITY album...
    "I get into a state of consciousness that I can't explain. It is about feeling and not thinking. I get positive chills and insight into things that I can't get to any other way. It is Healing of the Soul." - Mike McCready
    go to Vegas and blow it on coke & Hookers