Guitar question

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I started playing guitar 8 days ago. I have spent those 8 days learning how to play all the chords. I now want to try playing some songs. What songs would you recommend I play? What is a good beginner’s song? Also, what is a good website for finding chords of songs, chords, not tabs, because I havent learned how to read tabs yet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MetalGod75MetalGod75 Posts: 262
    I started playing guitar 8 days ago. I have spent those 8 days learning how to play all the chords. I now want to try playing some songs. What songs would you recommend I play? What is a good beginner’s song? Also, what is a good website for finding chords of songs, chords, not tabs, because I havent learned how to read tabs yet.
    try http://www.powertabs.net yes its tab but im sure you will be able to pick it up a lot quicker than u think;)theres thousands of songs listed on there go have fun
    Cornell pwns u
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Try http://www.ultimate-guitar.com. Just do a song search. They have a ton of songs. From the search you can narrow it down to tabs or chords. Also, I wouldnt be so afraid of tabs. They are pretty easy to read. Some people say it can mess up your technique but 90% of the time you naturally choose the right fretting pattern. I have showed a few guys, that are better than me and that have had actual theory, how do certain bends and little techniques.
    I would like to add that if you can find it pick up the Andy Aledort Guitar World rock guitar dvd. It is great for and guitar player. If you don't know who Andy Aledort is just ask Double Trouble, Billy Cox and Mitch Mitchell, or the Allman Bros. The guy can play any style and on the dvd he speaks in language that is clear.
  • Lukin_ozLukin_oz Posts: 257
    some of the best songs can be simplified into basic chords... check those sites previously mentioned and look up any beatles tunes, wish you were here by pink floyd is an awesome song and easy too, about a girl and polly by nirvana (alot of Nirvana is pretty simple), as far as Pearl Jam goes id recommend Elderly Woman, Immortality, Long road, Not for you, I got Id, All those Yesterdays, I am mine etc... the intros and solos maybe complex but still relatively easy, but the basic song chords are pretty simple. Good luck
    Those who dance are called insane by those who dont hear the music
  • Spook FishSpook Fish Posts: 241

Hey! good place to start would be the easy stuff obviously, but sometimes it's about as much as listening as it is playing. i listen to as much music as i can lay my hands on, and just imagine in my head what is being done. i would suggest getting some early Neil Young, listen to the nice acoustic easy ones and give em a crack.
    # comes a time
    # the needle and the damage done
    # heart of Gold

these ones are really easy once you get the chord changes - practice changing up alot.
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    nirvana - smells like teen spirit is hell easy to play. also, http://www.giventowail.com has chords and tabs for most PJ songs. try something like Rearviewmirror thats mainly powerchords and eds little riff. the riff is pretty hard but wiht practise you can do it well and fast

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • Betterman. like 3 chords. D -A -G
    RITFW = 3 chords E- D -C
    Fortunate Son = 4 chords D -C -A -G

I am mine is - 4 chords and a bar chord. D - F - C - G

Well the rythym part is for all those song anyway...

Giventowail and ultimate-guitar are the place to be.

Learn how to fluently change between open A, C, D, F & G chords and you will be sweet for most songs ever written ;)
    - "I mean Good Charlotte are good. They just sound like someone shoved a popsical up someones ass!" Ed.

"I am ahead, I am advanced, I am the first man to borrow Stones leather pants."

Stone Gossard: Is the height of fashion. More poeple should take note, and learn from a master
  • It was 12 years ago, but my first song was probably "EveryRose Has It's Thorn." Not that I am suggesting that or anything. :)
  • http://www.giventowail.com Its a site dedicated to mike mccready and most of the tabs are 100% correct. Nirvana is easy to learn sounds good. you could get about 10 nirvana songs down in about 2weeks of starting guitar. If youre serious about guitar i seriously recommend you learn some scales. They really help your playing and creativity. Check out a magazine called total guitar aswell that helps, i introduced a few people to it and they buy it every month. Thats everything i did to learn guitar and i have my own followers now, i have people that really respect me just because im good at guitar, it gets plenty of girls aswell. I practiced playin the intro to sweet child o mine behind my head and my god, the look on peoples faces is brilliant, their amazed at it but its rather easy. ive only been playin 3years aswell. If your dedicated enough and learn the right stuff you will get good in no time.
  • heh heh,

Garypower. The sweet child o mine is a tricky riff for a lot of people to start with, I am gonna try and do it behind my head tonight.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day