Guitar update

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited September 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Been playing for a month now. Spent the first few weeka going over and over the different chords. Spent the past few weeks playing children's songs like Kumbaya and This Old Man, He's got the whole world in his hands..etc...

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about where to go next.

What songs do I try next?

I need to learn how to read tabs

And I was curious about chords and tabs, do they tell you how fast to strum/pick or do you have to figure that our yourself?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    rockin in the free world is the first song/riff i learned to play, it's really easy.
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    The first riff I learned on guitar (I've got an acoustic at the moment) was the intro to "Come as you are," that one is pretty easy too. Also like inmyrvm said, the riff from Rockin' in the free world is really easy/fun to play :)

By the way, I'm a beginner too, I've been playing for about 3 months :P I want to get an electric for my birthday (december) but I'm not sure what to go for, I want a standard strat, but I don't know yet whether I'll go and buy the original one, or end up buying a cheap squier strat to learn on :P so yeah...back to topic:

Anyway, other riffs and intros that I found fun/easy to learn:

*La Cucaracha (haha! yeah, a stupid lil' song, but it's fun to play)
    *Pearl Jam: Alive, Betterman, RVM, Not for you, Corduroy, the "dodododo" part from Black, Jeremy, Go, Do the Evolution, Faithful, Wishlist
    *Soundgarden: Pretty Noose, Outshined, Black Hole Sun
    *The Ramones: Blitzkrieg Bop, The KKK took my baby away
    *Nirvana: Polly, Come as you are
    *Others: Beat it (Michael Jackson,lol), Like a Stone (Audioslave), the chorus part from Yesterdays (Guns N Roses)

Ok, that's all I can think of for now :) Hope it helps!!! :D

Peace,

Juli
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
    OH! and about the timing issue on tabs... as far as I know, at the top of the tab it tells you the tempo and stuff like that (this is if you are using powertabs, which are pretty cool, you can download the software at power-tab.net and the actual tabs I believe are at powertabs.net) if you are using other types of tabs, like the ones on given to wail, then I think they don't tell the tempo or anything like that. Anyway, since I'm a beginner and I don't know much about music theory yet, if I had the tempo information, I probably wouldn't know how to use it or apply it :P . I just play by ear.

*Juli*

♪ Juli ♪
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Pearl_Juli wrote:
    By the way, I'm a beginner too, I've been playing for about 3 months :P I want to get an electric for my birthday (december) but I'm not sure what to go for, I want a standard strat, but I don't know yet whether I'll go and buy the original one, or end up buying a cheap squier strat to learn on :P so yeah...back to topic:
    Juli

Thats my dilemma at the moment too. I've been playing since early June on an acoustic I bought 4 years ago, just never picked up too much until recently. I'm debating between some kind of Strat at the moment. But my mood could switch on a dime and lead me over to a Les Paul.
    moster78 wrote:
    Thats my dilemma at the moment too. I've been playing since early June on an acoustic I bought 4 years ago, just never picked up too much until recently. I'm debating between some kind of Strat at the moment. But my mood could switch on a dime and lead me over to a Les Paul.

Yeah, I've been thinking about the Les Paul and the SG too, but I think it is far more expensive than the Strat, and also I've been doing some research and a lot of people say that strats are faster and easier to play for beginners than Les Pauls, so, I'm partially basing my decision on that. I do want to get a Les Paul for sure eventually, probably as my second guitar :) But for my first ever electric, I think I'll go with the strat, or if I find myself on a really REALLY tight budget, I'll just go with a cheap squier, yamaha, or ibanez.

♪ Juli ♪