Guitar question

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited December 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
With christmas around the corner I am in a bind.

I bought a acoustic fender over the summer. I am happy with it.

I was thinking about for christmas buying myself either a electric guitar or a turntable for hip hop/dj stuff.

I know most of you will probably say I should go for the electric guitar, but just wanted to pose the question.

Do most of you guitarists have a acoustic and electric guitar?

Is it worth it to have both kinds of guitar, or is it just a waste of money?

What brand/make of electric guitar would you recommend? What electric guitar did Jimi Hendrix have?

What kind does ed have?

And Kurt Cobain?

I am also kind of wary of buying one because although I love my acoustic, I relaly havent progressed far, I still am practicing basic songs, having learned any PJ. School has been tough and I havent been able to practic as much as I wanted to, over the summer I was practicing every day.

So any advice?

Will I be happy with just a acoustic? Or do I need more?

Or should I move in the other direction and get a turntable and scratch records?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• also what electric make did Jimmy page, Jerry cantrell, Chris Cornell, Tom Morello have?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    also what electric make did Jimmy page, Jerry cantrell, Chris Cornell, Tom Morello have?

It's worth having both or even several.

Jimmy Page, Gibson Les Paul and various. Tom Morello - Fender Telecaster/ Gibson SG Double Neck 6string-12String (ala Jimmy Page) for The Ghost of Tom Joad, Gibson Les Paul "recent" Spoonman and the Arm the Homeless guitar is homemade with EMG active pickups the parts were off some pawnshop guitar I believe. I think Cantrell is a Les Paul man.

Hendrix mainly played a Fender Stratocaster, and various others.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • WESWES Posts: 168
    If your buying for yourself, why give yourself a Christmas deadline?...I know its convenient to say its a present to yourself...but theres no point jumping into something if your not 100% sure about it...better to wait...

But if you wanna jump into it, I would obviously say go for the electric...and sadly, a lot of the guitars those rock stars play are not exactly the most economical...lol
    wait until after christmas as well to buy, the week before the year changes they blow out what they didn't sell and they get tons of returns you can cash in on.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Man you could fill a page with all of those guitarists gear and that is going acoustic only :)

I think it is safe to say Page played just about everything. If you are looking to capture his acoustic tone you might want to look at 12 strings.
    Cantrell no clue!
    It is only worth having multiple guitars if you are going to play them and if you are looking for tones you currently don't have. An acoustic is always something you should having IMO.
    You can't go wrong with a Martin or a Gibson acoustic. Basically you want a wood top, don't skimp on the materials as it will sound like ass :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
    JofZ wrote:
    Man you could fill a page with all of those guitarists gear and that is going acoustic only :)

I think it is safe to say Page played just about everything. If you are looking to capture his acoustic tone you might want to look at 12 strings.
    Cantrell no clue!
    It is only worth having multiple guitars if you are going to play them and if you are looking for tones you currently don't have. An acoustic is always something you should having IMO.
    You can't go wrong with a Martin or a Gibson acoustic. Basically you want a wood top, don't skimp on the materials as it will sound like ass :)

what if we got into amp and pedal setups? :D
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    I would get a telecaster. Ed, Jerry Cantrell, Tom Morello, and Jimmy Page played one for a major portion of their career.

The acoustic is the back bone, but electrics are fun. Maybe get a small amp with multiple built in effects as well... this will allow you the fun of experimenting with delay, flangers, phasers, etc.

For $500 you could get a Vox AD15vt amp and a Fender standard telecaster... that would be a pretty nice setup for learning electric guitar.

That or for $25,000 you can get a Gibson Jimmy Page Les Paul and a custom shop relic Strat, a Germino Plexi reissue with a 412 cab with Celestion Heritage G12H speakers, an assortment of high end pedals (fuzz, phasers, delays, etc.) This would cover your basic Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix tones.

Your choice ;)
    There's No Code.
  • JofZ wrote:

Cantrell no clue!

Had 2 Les Paul Standards, a Black Beaty, the Tele with the psychadelic paint job that someone 'fixed' for him later, a blue Strat, and I think a Danelectro 59 dc, not sure if thats the right model. Used a Vox wah-wah, and the popular fuzz pedal of the day. He also used various small amps(Supro is the only one I remember)in the studio in the early days, and later went to a Marshall Plexi. I know I am missing stuff, but just that stuff alone would run you over 10g's, and that is if you bought all new stuff. If you went with re-issues or originals the price would start climbing pretty fast.