Electric or Acoustic?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited November 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
As its getting close to christmas time, I have visions of guitars dancing in my head. I already own an acoustic fender but want to maybe upgrade to a better guitar.

I also dont know if I should get an acoustic or an electric.

What is y'all's opinion on the topic? I like the sound of acoustic guitars but also love the riff's and distortion of electric guitars.

I love music by devendra banhart and bob dylan, but also love the electric loud sounds of sonic youth and tool.

I dont know which to choose, and can really only afford to get one or the other.

For me, if I got the electric I would want to be able to get that distortion sound, the sonic youth type, and feedback. Will I be able to do that with any electric guitar? Will a standard amp be sufficient?

What would you recommend? I am a beggining guitarist, and am split between getting a loud electric guitar or the quiet calm acoustic.

Any suggestions?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Go electric, then upgrade the acoustic next time around. What model acoustic Fender do you have right now?
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    What kind of a budget are you on? That will really determine what you can get.

Some people say that Fender Squire Strats are good starter guitars and other people think they flat out suck. A squire will probably cost you... anywhere between $200-$280 for the starter package, which includes the guitar, strap, cable, some picks, a tuner, gig bag and amp. That's probably what you should go for first time around, to get a feel for electric. Check out musiciansfriend.com and see some of the starter packs:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitar/navigation/value-packages-electric-guitar?N=100001+306243&page=1

I agree with the above poster that you should try electric and see how it works for you. After doing both, you can decide which one you like more and for your THIRD guitar, you can get a nicer one (either mid-range Taylor/Martin acoustic or a Standard Strat, Epi Les Paul or something like that.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • As its getting close to christmas time, I have visions of guitars dancing in my head. I already own an acoustic fender but want to maybe upgrade to a better guitar.

I also dont know if I should get an acoustic or an electric.

What is y'all's opinion on the topic? I like the sound of acoustic guitars but also love the riff's and distortion of electric guitars.

I love music by devendra banhart and bob dylan, but also love the electric loud sounds of sonic youth and tool.

I dont know which to choose, and can really only afford to get one or the other.

For me, if I got the electric I would want to be able to get that distortion sound, the sonic youth type, and feedback. Will I be able to do that with any electric guitar? Will a standard amp be sufficient?

What would you recommend? I am a beggining guitarist, and am split between getting a loud electric guitar or the quiet calm acoustic.

Any suggestions?

I have been playing alot of guitar recently and I have been way into the accoustic guitar. It's fun, the tones are wonderfull, and you dont need an amp to get down.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I would say go to a music store and play both types to see what is more satisfying for you. But remember, an electric guitar itself is only half the battle... the amplifier will cost a lot too. A $1000 Fender electric won't sound very good through a $100 Behringer amp, obviously.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • I liek the hybrids. I was playing a nice aucoustic/ electric the other day and it sounded great. go with the hybrid
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016, 2024
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022, 2023
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    Baltimore- 2024
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016 (night 2) , 2024 (night1)
    East Rutherford, New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - Lollapalooza 2007
    Seattle- Gorge 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • bigmuzzbigmuzz Posts: 299
    i have 4 geetars...1 acoustic, 1 electric, and 2 acoustic/electric

you sed already have an acoustic guitar...so get an electric! then you can play either, depending on what ur mood is at the time....

you can get starter kits for pretty cheap, sure they aint really 'brand name' guitars, but u usually get an amp, stand and bag to go along with it...great for beginners
    Sydney Wed 8 Nov 2006....

when all are one and one is all, to be a rock and not to roll.........

see me @ www.myspace.com/bigmuzz

keep on rockin!.......