Acoustic guitar

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited December 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have about 800 to 850 to spend on an acoustic guitar, any suggestions on good ones to buy?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    I played a Martin D-15 that I really liked.....then I played an HD-28 and loved it!

....the D-15 was $850 and the HD-28 was $2400. :p
  • What do you want? Acoustic electric, cutaway, mahogany, maple, spruce, 12 string, dreadnought, auditorium shape?

Personally, I am looking at the Martin 00-15. It's $850 and it has the Eddie Vedder vibe.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • You need to go around to different shops with a friend who knows a bit and fool around with different woods and see if you like sound when you play it, and its playability for you and have your friend play it for you while you stand away from it to hear how it sounds. Try alot before you decide, maybe keep a little notebook on what you've tried and later go back and recheck out the ones you favored in your price range. Martins and Gibsons are great, but they are not the only woods that are the "be all-end all" for great sound and playability.
  • What do you want? Acoustic electric, cutaway, mahogany, maple, spruce, 12 string, dreadnought, auditorium shape?

Personally, I am looking at the Martin 00-15. It's $850 and it has the Eddie Vedder vibe.
    i have the 000-15. the woody guthrie bob dylan eddie vedder vibe:) love it. very sensitive though. be careful with it.
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    taylor 214-$815. all solid woods, great sound, and a company to back it up.
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • The renegade brand names here are Tacoma and Seagull. Much more bang for the buck compared to the biggies (Gibson, Martin, Taylor).

You actually pay more for the guitar than the name on the headstock.

That said, hard to go wrong with a Martin or Gibson. It's just hard to find a Martin or Gibson in that price range.

You are leaving it entirely too wide open... I would assume you're looking at 6-strings. Dreadnaught, auditorium, parlor, or jumbo body? Cutaway or full body? Electronics or not? Any acoustic artists whose sound you like?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • The renegade brand names here are Tacoma and Seagull. Much more bang for the buck compared to the biggies (Gibson, Martin, Taylor).

You actually pay more for the guitar than the name on the headstock.

That said, hard to go wrong with a Martin or Gibson. It's just hard to find a Martin or Gibson in that price range.

You are leaving it entirely too wide open... I would assume you're looking at 6-strings. Dreadnaught, auditorium, parlor, or jumbo body? Cutaway or full body? Electronics or not? Any acoustic artists whose sound you like?

I am looking for a six string, no electronics, just straight up acoustic, am a fan of a great many acoustic artists-Dylan, Nick Drake, Jack Johnson, Billy Bragg, Ani Difranco.

I honestly dont know the difference between a dreadnaught, auditorium, parlor and jumbo body. What is the difference?
  • I honestly dont know the difference between a dreadnaught, auditorium, parlor and jumbo body. What is the difference?

Jumbo:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-SJ200-Historic-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=517088

Biggest body. Usually pretty bright (jumbos usually have a lot of maple). Big, jangly sound. Can be a little too big for some people. A good strumming guitar.

Dreadnaught:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guild-D40-Bluegrass-Jubilee-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar-With-Case-?sku=512018

Big body, probably the best projection (it's louder). Boxy tone, great to sing along to. Good for basic strumming, or if you're a fast bluegrass player, to flat-pick. Most typical body style. Can be a little uncomfortable, but if you're already playing a dreadnaught, they all feel pretty much the same.

Auditorium:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Martin-00018-Acoustic-Guitar-?sku=514774

Medium body, very balanced sound. Great if you switch between strumming AND fingerpicking. Not quite as loud, but still pretty good. More comfortable, especially for smaller folks. Not that it matters, but Ed plays one.

Parlor:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-GDP100-Parlor-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=511546

Smallest of the regular acoustics. Kinda thin-sounding, but that means great clarity, especially if you fingerpick a lot. Low volume. Most comfortable for smaller folks, but can be too small for others. Same size, roughly, as most electrics.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Go with the taylor.. nice clean sound..well worth the $$$$. I have a takemine g-series. lookin to upgrade as well. If you are beginner , go with a top notch tak til you wanna upgrade. Everyone always keeps a couple acoustics in the house...sbb
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016, 2024
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022, 2023
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    Baltimore- 2024
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016 (night 2) , 2024 (night1)
    East Rutherford, New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - Lollapalooza 2007
    Seattle- Gorge 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly