I need an acoustic amp, but which one?

mojorison_75mojorison_75 Posts: 157
edited January 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've decided I need(want) to buy an acoustic amp and would like a little info on what you guys would suggest.

I don't have a ton of money to spend, I'm working with a budget here, so any boutique stuff is out. I just need an affordable, decent acoustic amp. Nothing fancy.

I'm thinking in the 5-600 dollar range. Ideally I would like to find something in that range used for about 3 or 400, or a nicer one used in my upper range.

I don't really know much about acoustic amps or even who makes decent ones, so I'm a little lost here.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Used SWR California Blonde.

Used Trace Elliot

Fishman Loudbox.- not the 500 watt version it's way to expensive.

Marshall AS 50

Carvin Acoustic series.

you really can't go wrong. look for EQ and tone shaping, and consider whether you really need onboard effects other than say reverb.

My favorites that I've actually plugged into are the California Blonde and the Trace Elliot

you should be fine on the budget with any of those.

You'll be ok with Fender or Crate both make decent amps too. Later on you may want to look at a tube preamp pedal or an aphex acoustic exciter.

here's a cal blonde in you're price range, 100 watts. this is what stone used on the 2000 tour.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10171&item=3778709160&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Thanks man, that's the advice I needed.
  • I really like the SWR gear, too...

Another option is Genz Benz, but I'm not sure if they have anything in your range.

One last option is to get a small PA rig, or powered speaker, and a DI. If I could have anything for an acoustic amp, it would be an LR Baggs or Aphex DI with a Mackie SRM450.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.