Which Ed Tone?

Milhouse VanHoutenMilhouse VanHouten Posts: 755
edited February 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
With the new SG Classic (P-90s, 2003 tour sound) and the Fender Custom Tele HH(a blatant 'homage' to the scheter pt's Ed used in 2000) both available, which tone do you guys like best? I prefer the Schecter, myself...
"Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    it depends on the song...

for the Corduroy intro, I prefer the schecter and the harder edge...

but it you listen to some of the boots from last tour, you will see that the SG is more than capable of that edge.

I think the SG has more variety on tap, but the Tele (due to the pups) is a bit harder edged.

What I would do is pick one based on which plays better for you... they will have different scale lengths, neck profiles, etc.

FWIW, I have a PT SG and a Telecaster(although it is a standard S/S tele)... they play very differently and while I like them both... they are tough to compare to each other.
    There's No Code.
  • House53 wrote:
    it depends on the song...

for the Corduroy intro, I prefer the schecter and the harder edge...

but it you listen to some of the boots from last tour, you will see that the SG is more than capable of that edge.

I think the SG has more variety on tap, but the Tele (due to the pups) is a bit harder edged.

What I would do is pick one based on which plays better for you... they will have different scale lengths, neck profiles, etc.

FWIW, I have a PT SG and a Telecaster(although it is a standard S/S tele)... they play very differently and while I like them both... they are tough to compare to each other.

I really like the Schecter on the fingerpicked intro to Betterman. Ironically, the tele style has the greater meaty sound than the SG due to the humbuckers. Actually, the Schecter and the new Fender that's similar both have coil taps for more tone choices.
    I guess I am a fan of how responsive P-90 pups are to pick attack and dynamics. But, a splittable HB is very versatile for sure.

I agree that the Schecter fits with certain songs better. It gave the notes just a bit more hair...

I did like the tones on the VFC tour as well... Ed had changed speaker cabs for that one... no more Marshall cab... Hiwatt.
    There's No Code.
  • TavTav Posts: 63
    Who really cares?!?! Am I alone when I get annoyed at people who discuss every little detail of famous players tones...threads like "what do you prefer mike when he uses green plectrums or yellow ones"..."what kind of leads do pearl jam use"...as if it is of any really importance!?
  • well, normally the choice of guitar effects the tone, which effects the song, so yeah.
  • Tav wrote:
    Who really cares?!?! Am I alone when I get annoyed at people who discuss every little detail of famous players tones...threads like "what do you prefer mike when he uses green plectrums or yellow ones"..."what kind of leads do pearl jam use"...as if it is of any really importance!?

It becomes important when you start to ask, "What kind of gear do I want? If I get this guitar, with these pickups, what kind of tone can I expect?"

I prefer the tone of the P-90 SG, myself. And I'm a true-blue Tele guy. It's all a matter of opinion, of course.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Tav wrote:
    people you'll find in the 'Musicians and Gearheads' care about that stuff.

Me, i prefer the schecter tele tone....corduroy, betterman and wishlist need to sound nice and crisp like that...the SG's just didn't give him that.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
    I guess I know what you mean about the "Crisp" flavor...

probably something to do with the SG being mahogany and a shorter scale, while the tele is alder with a longer scale... my tele is much more crisp (it's ash, so it is more pronounced than an alder body)...

you can especially here the differences when playing the guitars unplugged... the tele has a short and fast rise/fall to the note... it honks. The SG is very even...
    There's No Code.
  • House53 wrote:
    I guess I know what you mean about the "Crisp" flavor...

probably something to do with the SG being mahogany and a shorter scale, while the tele is alder with a longer scale... my tele is much more crisp (it's ash, so it is more pronounced than an alder body)...

you can especially here the differences when playing the guitars unplugged... the tele has a short and fast rise/fall to the note... it honks. The SG is very even...

that might be a difference between the fender and the pt schecter, the musician's friend description says that the fender custom special tele hh is all mahogany.