Mesa Boogety question

Milhouse VanHoutenMilhouse VanHouten Posts: 755
edited May 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey:

I've got a Mesa Studio .22+ combo(cream tolex) with a high gain mod. It's about 10 years old, according to the seller. The thing is squealy as hell. The owner didn't know when the last tube change was, and I was thinking of replacing the preamp tubes(12ax7s, I think). Should I do as the manual dictates and check the tubes one by one, or should I just replace all 4 of them at once? Thanks.
"Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Preamp tubes don't need to be replaced in sets, so if you only have one preamp tube not functioning right, you don't have to replace all of them, just the one. That's why Mesa says to check them one by one, to find the one tube that's misbehaving. However, if it's been a while since they've been replaced, it doesn't hurt to swap all of them. Especially since preamp tubes are $8-12 apiece.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Preamp tubes don't need to be replaced in sets, so if you only have one preamp tube not functioning right, you don't have to replace all of them, just the one. That's why Mesa says to check them one by one, to find the one tube that's misbehaving. However, if it's been a while since they've been replaced, it doesn't hurt to swap all of them. Especially since preamp tubes are $8-12 apiece.

Thanks for the advice. I figured it would be easier in the long run to buy 4 at once, since I'm relatively sure that the tubes haven't been changed in at least 6 or so years, maybe never.
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    preamp tubes can last that long. Power tubes likely cannot. Also, the squeal can either be microphonics, or a tranny. I hope it's tubes for your sake :)
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    enharmonic wrote:
    preamp tubes can last that long. Power tubes likely cannot. Also, the squeal can either be microphonics, or a tranny. I hope it's tubes for your sake :)

one can see lots of screaming tranny's in Las Vegas......
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    one can see lots of screaming tranny's in Las Vegas......

I see screaming tranny's every time I watch my sister drive, thank you.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    I forgot!!! Tonights drag night at Bob and Barbara's Lounge on South Street. Fun time!

ahem,,, to watch, that is.

Back to amps,,,,, the cheapest and first thing to try is to just buy one preamp tube first, and check the tubes one by one, like the manual says. That most likely will stop the squeal,,,then you can retube if you want. If that's not it, THEN take it to a tech. High gain mods can make amps really sensitive to howling like that if anything's out of order.

Those are great little amps BTW!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart