Tokai

Milhouse VanHoutenMilhouse VanHouten Posts: 755
edited May 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Can any of you guys give me any input on the quality of the newer Korean made Tokais? Thanks.
"Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    these should be helpful.

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Tokai/

i think they've got a pretty good reputation at this point. they make a left-handed firebird copy that i quite like.
  • exhausted wrote:
    these should be helpful.

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Tokai/

i think they've got a pretty good reputation at this point. they make a left-handed firebird copy that i quite like.

thanks, i was curious about the korean models. i'd originally wanted an older japanese love rock, but those are going for retarded $$$$ on ebay now.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    thanks, i was curious about the korean models. i'd originally wanted an older japanese love rock, but those are going for retarded $$$$ on ebay now.

The Love Rocks are dead on too. Quality. What's your ball park figure, we might be able to find something else.

Epiphone Elite has a fantastic line of Les Pauls for oh a grand and a half less than the American versions.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    The Love Rocks are dead on too. Quality. What's your ball park figure, we might be able to find something else.

Epiphone Elite has a fantastic line of Les Pauls for oh a grand and a half less than the American versions.

between $500-$800 or so.

have you ever dealt with any subway guitars product?
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    The original pre-lawsuit models are gorgeous. Unfortunately, I have no experience with the Korean-made, although they still have a great reputation. But the Epi models are probably comparable in quality and price.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    If you go Tokai, go Japanese. Otherwise, just go Epiphone...just about the same guitar.

Epi's have gotten a LOT better in the last few years. If you find a real good one and do the following things, it will actually be "better" than 50% of the Les Pauls out there (standard's...not CS or Historics)

1. Change the TOM to a TonePro's locking TOM
    2. Replace the nut
    3. Replace the tuners
    4. Replace the pickups and pots
    5. Have the frets professionally dressed

You can do all of these things and end up with a better guitar than a stock Gibson for several hundered less than a Gibson. I do not advocate giving Gibson one red cent these days. If you want a Gibson, buy used.