Locking Sperzels. Please help!

Milhouse VanHoutenMilhouse VanHouten Posts: 755
edited September 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
can anyone here tell me about the installation of sperzel locking tuners? is it something that is doable if you aren't a luthier? i know that some additional drilling in the headstock is required, i just want to get an idea about the level of difficulty. i have very basic skills in this area. thanks.
"Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    can anyone here tell me about the installation of sperzel locking tuners? is it something that is doable if you aren't a luthier? i know that some additional drilling in the headstock is required, i just want to get an idea about the level of difficulty. i have very basic skills in this area. thanks.

Depends on the guitar. PM whos pearljam (bob) he probably knows. I don't see it as being rocket surgery.

oh and http://www.projectguitar.com might help.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • :)

It's not rocket surgery,,,,, or brain science :D,, but if the thought of dealing with drill bits that say 7/64ths on them scares you, then go to a luthier.

If it's an existing neck with the holes predrilled, they usually fit into that, but you sometimes have to enlarge the hole just a bit.
    The harder part is drilling that tiny hole for the little set pin that sticks into the neck wood. That has to be exact and if you mess up,,, it's tough to reposition them.

They're great tuners, though!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

It's not rocket surgery,,,,, or brain science :D,, but if the thought of dealing with drill bits that say 7/64ths on them scares you, then go to a luthier.

If it's an existing neck with the holes predrilled, they usually fit into that, but you sometimes have to enlarge the hole just a bit.
    The harder part is drilling that tiny hole for the little set pin that sticks into the neck wood. That has to be exact and if you mess up,,, it's tough to reposition them.

They're great tuners, though!

thanks much for the info, the guitar in question is an epiphone les paul. drilling the holes for the little pins is the main concern. where on the neck exactly do you drill? thanks again.
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."