Acoustic-Electric Guitars

LostdogsinthegardenLostdogsinthegarden Posts: 844
edited July 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm thinking about trading in my American Standard Strat to get an electric-acoustic, Ibanez probably. Who here has one, and how does it compare to electric guitars?

I love the sound of acoustics, so I thought getting an electric one would be a good way to go about it. What are the capabilities, and can you include distortion with them? Thanks for any advice.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Acoustic Electrics do not sound like electrics when 'electrified'... They sound like acoustics going through an amp.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Hold onto your Strat and just save some cash for an acoustic.
  • Boom The CatBoom The Cat Posts: 482
    Yeah, no real difference, just louder
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    the only way you can get distortion is from a pedal. you should seriously look at takamine's. they are one of the best sounding guitars ive ever heard
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • i have an ibanez AEG-black. its nice, i would consider upgrading to a better fishman pickup, but with some mid strings on it now, acousticly it sounds fine, and it has never let me down in a performance. Its a small body cutaway so a breeze to play (you lose a bit of resonance though)

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • elstongunnelstongunn Posts: 285
    seanw1010 wrote:
    the only way you can get distortion is from a pedal. you should seriously look at takamine's. they are one of the best sounding guitars ive ever heard

you can get a good takamine eg-240 for about $250 it's a dreadnought acoustic /electric. i also saw somewhere there's a takamine that has a "tube" preamp on it... wild... takamine's aren;t the best sounding, but for a mid/low level priced guitar they are good. (i like my martin better than my takamine) :)
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan
  • i have an ibanez AEG-black. its nice, i would consider upgrading to a better fishman pickup, but with some mid strings on it now, acousticly it sounds fine, and it has never let me down in a performance. Its a small body cutaway so a breeze to play (you lose a bit of resonance though)

Yeah I was looking at the AEG, sounded great. But I guess getting a cheap Takamine would be the best bet for me so that I can keep the electric. Thanks for the advice.
  • elstongunnelstongunn Posts: 285
    Yeah I was looking at the AEG, sounded great. But I guess getting a cheap Takamine would be the best bet for me so that I can keep the electric. Thanks for the advice.

i have a takamine and it's built like a tank. really a great value purchase. you won't be disapointed for the money.
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan
  • you can distort anything if it's being amplified in some way :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    elstongunn wrote:
    you can get a good takamine eg-240 for about $250 it's a dreadnought acoustic /electric. i also saw somewhere there's a takamine that has a "tube" preamp on it... wild... takamine's aren;t the best sounding, but for a mid/low level priced guitar they are good. (i like my martin better than my takamine) :)

true, if you put a mid priced martin and a mid priced takamine side by side the martin will win. but if you put a martin Martin DC15E( http://www.music123.com/Martin-DC15E-Acoustic-Guitar-i52607.music) next to a Takamine EF350SMCSB( http://www.music123.com/Takamine-EF350SMCSB-Acoustic-Guitar-i62824.music) the takamine will sound better(my uncle has both)
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go