Options

Ibanez TS7 vs. Boss Distortion vs. Somethin else

burnin-candleburnin-candle Posts: 158
edited February 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
OK, I am going to get my first effect pedal, and these are the ones currently in mind. The sound I am hoping to make is a crunchy, grungy sound, kinda like the guitars on STBC or DTE.

Anyway, if anyone has these, I was wandering if you could recommend either one, or suggest a better distortion that I could get.

Thanks.
"If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done"

If you can't get high on purely music and the sounds that you hear, you're missing out on something.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Boss- DS 1.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    mogwaimogwai Posts: 141
    Check out the DS-1/Pro Mod made by analogman
    http://www.analogman.com
    I have one and I think that there's a big improvement made to the stock form.Actually the DS-1 is the most basic distortion pedal to start from.You can hear it everywhere...Satriani and Vai use it and so did Kurt Cobain...You can imagine that it's a quite versatile pedal from the players mentioned above...I am not saying that you'll find your dream sound in it but it's a low priced pedal that may always be helpful.It's a good 6th player in NBA terms.You can also check out the DS-1 made for Steve Vai in
    http://robertkeeley.com/
    "You stay classy San Diego" Ron Burgundy
  • Options
    Instead of the Boss DS-1, I would probably suggest the Boss SD-1 (ie: SuperOverdrive) instead. It's a little grainier and has more midrange.

Of course, my amp does a pretty good post-Vs. Pearl Jam sound. :cool:

What kind of guitar/amp setup are you using?
    www.PintoMusic.com
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by PintoMusic
    Instead of the Boss DS-1, I would probably suggest the Boss SD-1 (ie: SuperOverdrive) instead. It's a little grainier and has more midrange.

Of course, my amp does a pretty good post-Vs. Pearl Jam sound. :cool:

What kind of guitar/amp setup are you using?

also a good choice. I prefer the BD-2 blues driver but that's just me.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    i would suggest you also that DS-1 or SuperOverdriver by Boss-thez are prettz good but zou should choose the one as an addition to your pick-ups. If you have humbucker, go for DS- but with singles only config you should buy SuperOverdrive-it will add more warmth to zour sound.
    My brother had Ds-1 but it didnt work with non-valve amp,so zou shoukd also consider this part.
    me: www.myspace.com/mariomarcinek

my band: www.myspace.com/mofokillerain

official site: www.stonerock.sk
  • Options
    Hi!

I'm pretty new to all this effect stuff, but I got myself a Boss BD-2 Blues Driver as my only pedal right now -> I'm loving it! I think it doesn't sound so thin like the DS-1 and you can get a variety of sounds out of it, it's pretty versatile. I'm pretty sure it suits most of PJ's songs...

Tell us what you got and how you like it!

Bye,
    Steve
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    BD-2 > SD-1 > DS-1
  • Options
    Thank you all very very much!

I think I'll try the Blues driver and the Boss Super Distortion and hear them and then decide. I think both seem pretty versatile, so maybe uts the wallet that decides. lol

Thank you again. You guys are really great!!!!
    "If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done"

If you can't get high on purely music and the sounds that you hear, you're missing out on something.