New guitar help

burnin-candleburnin-candle Posts: 158
edited January 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
OK, this is my first time posting here, so please be nice. Because I'm sure you're all great people.
Anyway, a friend gave me his guitar and it's a red Fender Jaguar, Japanese edition. Not sure if it's a reissue. The tone dials and the three switches at the bottom don't seem to work, and I don't know what they do! Any advice there?

And I'm thinking of getting a distortion effect. Which should most suit this guitar? The Ibanez TS-9 seems to be popular, but there might be better ones.

And I don't have technique like you guys but I can play a little bit, just don't know much about guitars and stuff.

Thanks.
"If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done"

If you can't get high on purely music and the sounds that you hear, you're missing out on something.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    Hmm I think you should just sell me that Jaguar for $25.

Seriously, though the distortion depends on what tone/style you want. This place has graet distortion pedals

http://www.robertkeeley.com/
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • There are way too many options to list for distortion pedals... But my default recommendation for a beginner is the Boss DS-1, which is a no-frills distortion pedal that sounds like you would expect. It's sort of the vanilla of the distortion pedals... it'll satisfy everyone, but most people would prefer something different.

It's a good, basic pedal, and they can be picked up for cheap.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040118054312150131025144392198/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/151258/
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Thanks, I'll be looking for those in stores over here. I guess the sound I want to make is a crunchy, grungy type. Maybe like on DTE?

And no, I'm not selling it for 25 bucks. LOL!
    "If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done"

If you can't get high on purely music and the sounds that you hear, you're missing out on something.
  • Originally posted by burnin-candle
    I guess the sound I want to make is a crunchy, grungy type. Maybe like on DTE?

A DS-1 will get you pretty close... the other option is a Tubescreamer (TS-9 or others) into a smaller tube amp being driven hard.
  • my experience with pedals has been that different pedals sound better with different guitars. i have a pedal i don't like when i play my guitar but with my brothers it sounds great. so i would recomend testing them at a shop with your guitar or one like it. you can also research them to see what other people think in customer reviews but nothing will help you more than playing them
  • Ah, yes...

Try before you buy! Much wisdom you have, young Skywalker.