Help a gear-ignorant idiot get some good gears

burnin-candleburnin-candle Posts: 158
edited September 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey masters of the instrumental side. ;)

I've been self-teaching the guitar for about a year now, just playing around and thinking up riffs and experimenting. I want to try different sounds so I need some new effects.

First of all, a wah pedal. The sound I want is that 60s 70s funky sound, but at times I would want to blow it out with some distortion on it , so it would be better if it had some versatility. I'm thinking that the classic Cry Baby (the cheapest one with no options) maybe fit for me, but I've heard that Boss and Vox make good ones as well, but the price might be a little high. And what do those other Cry Baby's specialties mean? (like Fasel whatever and Boost option)

Next, a good distortion to go with the wah. I've played the Boss Turbo Distortion and I like that sound, but I'm curious about the Ibanez TS-9. Is it more versatile than the Boss, or is there basically no big difference with distortions in whole?

Thanks for any help.
"If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done"

If you can't get high on purely music and the sounds that you hear, you're missing out on something.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    The standard cry baby is a great option for you. Once you learn the wah pedal, what it does and why, that's when you'll understand the different inductors and boost etc. The boost essentially fattens you up and makes you louder so you can cut through when you use your Wah on a solo. The Fasel inductor is a higher quality inductor that yields a more vocal sweeter sounding sweep. You can always get them modded with better stuff.

There are a multitude of cheap distortions you could go with. The older Danelectro Fab tone (maroon color) is dirt cheap if you can find on on Ebay, and yeilds a solid tone for the cash.

The Boss DS-1 and SD-1 are also in the ring, Digitech also has some great cheap boxes. The Hot Rod distortion and the Bad Monkey are decent for the cash too, you can always just play all of it in that range and then buy what sounds good in your set up. Don't be afraid to use more than one as well.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • The ts-9 is very mild, it practically sounds clean......it does give you a great sound though, but not heavy distortion.....i combine it at full blast with mild distortion on my amp for a kickass sound
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Hey thanks.

I think I'll stick with my Turbo Distortion for a while and look around if there's a better one. I think I'm too gear-stupid to use a TS-9 to it's full capabilities. lol

I'll definitely get the Cry Baby, though. I'm not doing much lead work so it should be fine. Thanks!
    "If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done"

If you can't get high on purely music and the sounds that you hear, you're missing out on something.