Kids learning to play (instruments...)

memememe Posts: 4,695
edited March 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hello all

my son is turning 6 in a couple of weeks. He's been dreaming of a guitar for as long as I can remember (and, occasionally, drums... :p)

I had always heard that piano is the best to start kids off, but now I'm told that starting with whatever it is that a kid is interested in is also a good idea.
I have NO background in music at all. I plan on visiting a store in town next week, ask them about guitars for kids that young and teachers, but if you all have suggestions on this (best instruments, best equipment etc.) that would be great.

... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• momofglynnmomofglynn Posts: 849
    make sure the teacher if fun...kids get bored with learning michael row your boat to shore over and over again. I mean he still needs to know the basics but a good teacher should bring in the old and incorporate the new to make it fun.

Don't pay a large amount for the guitar, he is still 6 and he will trash it. Not on purpose but you know as well as I, that boys can play rough.

Encourage any interest in any instrument. It's all good.

Play him lots and lots of Pearl Jam :-) Especially the Touring Band 2000! :-) I remember when I first got the Showbox home and I played it. It was the 1st time my son acknowledged that a song ended and he clapped when the crowd clapped.

But seriously...my almost 3 year old loves and I mean LOVES Peter Gabriel. My husband played him a concert from many many years back but he was so interested in how he performed. He also loves Radiohead when Thom is playing piano. After he gets done watching a show that we have recorded, he goes over to our organ and starts to hammer away. It's so cute.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    Start him off on an acoustic guitar because it is harder (on the hands) but it will pay off in the long run. Also make sure he is learning stuff that he actually likes, as well as the basic chords and patterns, that way he will not get as bored as when playing chords that don't go anywhere all the time. Those are my 2 pieces of advice. Good luck
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    My son started on both piano and guitar. I'd have to say that if you choose a guitar teacher, make sure he has experience teaching children. You're more likely to get a good basic background for reading and theory at the piano and more likely to get good at playing by ear and in ensembles if you start on guitar. (Which is why my little guy does both. :) ) Six is the perfect age btw!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    Thank you all so much!

momo... what a great idea watching live shows with him (on DVD that is :D)!
    I'll add Touring Band to his birthday gift packet. About time I own I copy anyway :)
  • hi meme!!!!!
    from the height of the pacific
    to the depths of everest
  • I know I'm super thankful now that I learned piano first (started at 6), I've picked up several other instruments quite easily on my own after that since piano theory is more general - I think the format of the notes, scales, and chords can transfer to other instruments easier than vice versa (not to mention it's physically easier to play), but I was interested in piano first so it probably wouldn't be any good to force your son into an instrument that he's not interested in anyway. My only advice for guitar is don't be afraid to switch teachers if they don't "click" and make sure you get the right size instrument! Good luck, my 6 year old is starting to pick it up now too :)
    walk the bridges before you burn them down...
  • awakeawake Posts: 35
    get a kid freindly teacher & make sure they learn a song they really like very early on. even the simplest thing like twinkle twinkle little star can peak their interest. but some teachers forget this and just start teaching technique and chords, forgetting that it is supposed to be fun too.

for the instrument, if you find a good music school or store in your area, they will likely have a good selection on "beginner" instruments, and usually give discounts to students that take lessons there.
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    awake wrote:
    get a kid freindly teacher & make sure they learn a song they really like very early on. even the simplest thing like twinkle twinkle little star can peak their interest. but some teachers forget this and just start teaching technique and chords, forgetting that it is supposed to be fun too.

for the instrument, if you find a good music school or store in your area, they will likely have a good selection on "beginner" instruments, and usually give discounts to students that take lessons there.

Hey... he's my son... his favorite song is RITFW ;)

Yes I plan on possibly buying even something good but used. And on asking them for suggestions on teacher. I got the name of someone excellent but she has a long waiting list...

Thanks again everyone :)
  • nailz100 wrote:
    Start him off on an acoustic guitar because it is harder (on the hands) but it will pay off in the long run. Also make sure he is learning stuff that he actually likes, as well as the basic chords and patterns, that way he will not get as bored as when playing chords that don't go anywhere all the time. Those are my 2 pieces of advice. Good luck

it's true about the acoustic guitar... once you can play an acoustic, electrics are a walk in the park.

and believe me when i say, if he's interested now, get him started without hesitation!! i hesitated with getting myself started and i regret it. the earlier they learn the better off!
    that's faarkokte.
  • :cool: Cool to be getting the little guy into music! Perfect time to do it, too!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004NKIS/002-3854401-9828842?v=glance

This is a pretty cool little guitar for a 6 year old.
    It's acoustic, nylon strings, which are easier on a beginner's fingers. Your fingers DO get used to steel strings pretty quickly, but the main thing is to keep it fun and interesting at first. That guitar comes with a pretty good color coded "how to play" book, too.

Otherwise, good advice above about a getting a good teacher for kids. It HAS to be fun or they won't stick with it.
    I think Justam's right, (as usual!) about piano being great for music theory and guitar for playing on. Eventually the two may come together and you may just end up with a rare breed:

A guitarist who can read music! :D

Good luck to him!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    I BrisK I wrote:
    he'll have fun with some drums!

Ahah, so far I'm just glad I swayed my husband from piano to guitar. Drums would be a tougher sell at this point. Maybe next birthday :D

Thanks Who'spj :) I think I'll buy the guitar in a store because I want them to help out with teachers suggestions, but good call on the nylon!

and here's proof he's ready (although I didn't even think about electric... we'll definitely go acoustic!). This was taken at Seattle's Experience Music Project :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/ggatta/seattle/seattle018.jpg
  • meme wrote:
    Ahah, so far I'm just glad I swayed my husband from piano to guitar. Drums would be a tougher sell at this point. Maybe next birthday :D

Thanks Who'spj :) I think I'll buy the guitar in a store because I want them to help out with teachers suggestions, but good call on the nylon!

and here's proof he's ready (although I didn't even think about electric... we'll definitely go acoustic!). This was taken at Seattle's Experience Music Project :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/ggatta/seattle/seattle018.jpg

:D

I forgot to say that, about buying in a store. I'm a supporter of local stores, so its great to buy local. That was an example.

Nice picture! With a Strat! It won't be long and thousands of people will be watching him do this!:

http://www.fantasyrogue.com/photos/sample/images/791/286x375.aspx
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    :D

I forgot to say that, about buying in a store. I'm a supporter of local stores, so its great to buy local. That was an example.

Nice picture! With a Strat! It won't be long and thousands of people will be watching him do this!:

http://www.fantasyrogue.com/photos/sample/images/791/286x375.aspx

I wish both him and the guitar a longer life ;)
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    What about an Esteban guitar. lol

Just kidding...I don't want to start that post all over again!
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see