How to get the "womantone"

who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
edited June 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Sister Rosetta Tharpe rocks out! I've got her complete recordings on CD and they're great!
Eric Clapton must have watched this one before he went guitar shopping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOmRm0-acJw

:D
Be kind, man
Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    Pacomc79 wrote:

:) I have that pedal. It looks better than it sounds!

Did you check her solo out towards the end through that old Gibson amp? 8)
    Be kind, man

On a side note, I remember reading that to achieve the "womantone", all that was involved, besides the amazing Marshall amps, was to crank up the gain, bass, mids and treble, switch to your neck pickup and just roll the tone all the way down.
  • moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 467
    moster78 wrote:
    That was pretty amazing. Nice SG, but a weird way to wear the strap. I was afraid she'd drop it at the end.

On a side note, I remember reading that to achieve the "womantone", all that was involved, besides the amazing Marshall amps, was to crank up the gain, bass, mids and treble, switch to your neck pickup and just roll the tone all the way down.

basically that is the recipe but two changes:
    -you want to LOWER your mids on the amp
    -and you want NO gain, you want the amp to distort in the preamp using by turning your VOLUME waaay up.
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    moemoe6434 wrote:
    basically that is the recipe but two changes:
    -you want to LOWER your mids on the amp
    -and you want NO gain, you want the amp to distort in the preamp using by turning your VOLUME waaay up.

Thats kind of what I meant. I don't really have a gain knob on my amp, just a master volume and a pre-amp volume. Cranking the pre-amp and the EQ knobs kind of gets that "Sunshine of Your Love" sound.
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    :D I'm so old I SAW Cream!

I guess when you have 2 100 watt Marshall stacks turned up you have a little more flexibility, too. He also use a wah wah set back towards the bass end to get that tone, and some heavier strings.
    There are sweet spots on the wah where when you have enough power and volume coming out of your amp, and you get your wah to the right spot, it seems like your guitar starts playing itself!

Zappa used that same method, too, to get his honking tone.

But Sister Rosetta?

Ha! Just an SG and an amp! :D
    Be kind, man

Me thinks I need to get me some Sister Rosetta. :D I love that old black blues and gospel stuff. I saw a great documentary on Howlin' Wolf the other day. Amazing stuff.