Options

I'm going to play the gurkel in Timbuktu!

who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
edited December 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
Can't say I've ever done that before!

Leave for Mali on Wednesday to meet up with Youthinkyourold and we're studying Malian music with an old African blues and tribal player.
I'll be learning to play the Gurkel. It only has one string. How low tech can you get, although it has a buzzing thingy on it.

I bet they argue over there that the old buzzing thingies are much better than the newer ones!
Be kind, man
Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by who's_pearljam?
    Can't say I've ever done that before!

Leave for Mali on Wednesday to meet up with Youthinkyourold and we're studying Malian music with an old African blues and tribal player.
    I'll be learning to play the Gurkel. It only has one string. How low tech can you get, although it has a buzzing thingy on it.

I bet they argue over there that the old buzzing thingies are much better than the newer ones!

yeah I agree the older buzzy thingies were made right with love and attention unseen in todays buzzy thingy.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    yeah I agree the older buzzy thingies were made right with love and attention unseen in todays buzzy thingy.

They're probably made of car fenders, The old Fenders are much better than the new ones!

Har Har Har Har!
    Be kind, man
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I'll personally help you with your G-String love. :)
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by puremagic
    Have fun. By time you get back I will probably have mastered "one" string on the guitar, ok maybe two, but that's it.
    Have fun. By time you get back I will probably have mastered "one" string on the guitar, ok maybe two, but that's it.

If you have 2 mastered, you'll be one above me! I'm impressed that you're even playing the lefty/ right handed upside down, standard strung,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Oh whatever!: )
    Ok, I'm impressed!
    It'll be even cooler if I don't need a hard hat to play on stage with you.
    How is it, by the way, that a left handed bass player is playing a right handed guitar?

I just got some weird looks at my local Rite Aid drugstore.
    I went through the checkout line with a shopping cart full of soap and deodorant and pens and pencils and Granola bars to take to give away in Mali. It was 800 bucks. The lady behind me asked me how many kids I had,,, I said " none, I just smell bad and write a lot!"
    Be kind, man

I hate to tell you Paco, That joke is as old as the Gurkel!
    Be kind, man
    I hate to tell you Paco, That joke is as old as the Gurkel!

Indeed. but in comparison today G-strings are much better made than in olden days.
  • Options
    puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by who's_pearljam?
    If you have 2 mastered, you'll be one above me! I'm impressed that you're even playing the lefty/ right handed upside down, standard strung,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Oh whatever!: )
    Ok, I'm impressed!
    It'll be even cooler if I don't need a hard hat to play on stage with you.
    How is it, by the way, that a left handed bass player is playing a right handed guitar?

I just got some weird looks at my local Rite Aid drugstore.
    I went through the checkout line with a shopping cart full of soap and deodorant and pens and pencils and Granola bars to take to give away in Mali. It was 800 bucks. The lady behind me asked me how many kids I had,,, I said " none, I just smell bad and write a lot!"

Inherited some awesome guitars and thought why waste an opportunity. Unfortunately they are all right handed. So I figured I'd either try and learn to play one or give them away. Since I had a rickenbacker bass, I'm learning on the rickenbacker guitar. I haven't hit anyone in a couple of weeks, I knock over the mic regularly, but I'm getting better. I wouldn't hit anything if I quit acting like I'm on Headbanger's ball and get my coordination together. But its a distraction and fun.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    Inherited some awesome guitars and thought why waste an opportunity. Unfortunately they are all right handed. So I figured I'd either try and learn to play one or give them away. Since I had a rickenbacker bass, I'm learning on the rickenbacker guitar. I haven't hit anyone in a couple of weeks, I knock over the mic regularly, but I'm getting better. I wouldn't hit anything if I quit acting like I'm on Headbanger's ball and get my coordination together. But its a distraction and fun.

Oh what a great picture you painted! Blasting with that one good string and flattening everything on stage!

Excellent!

I don't know what I can wreck with a gurkel! And I also don't know if a 1 stringed instrument is lefty or righty. All I know is you summon the spirits to play it. I just hope they're "friendly spirits, bullwinkle" (If you've ever seen that cartoon)( if not, long story)
    Be kind, man