Goodbye to my Les Pauls

who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
edited March 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Well,
Last week, somebody from England bought my 1958 Les Paul Burst. About perfect condition.
Last night, someone flew to Phila to pick up my '57 Goldtop. :( Ok, maybe a little used. (A lot used!)
I had them since the 60's, and made the deals to sell them for a bunch of medical treatments that I'm going to be getting. After I made the deals, I found out that I don't qualify for the Vaccine therapies, and don't need them yet! Medically,,, great news! Eventually I'll need the treatments, But
My little guitars are gone! :( A piece of my history.
I'm supposed to go off to work in a few minutes, and I feel like cancelling and sobbing in my coffee!

It's amazing what a couple of pieces of wood can do for you, and how they can become part of you. Even though I hardly ever played them any more, and had to keep them in a humidified vault, and had to worry about them, It's like losing a part of you. In reality, I have other guitars that play better and sound better, but almost every note ever played on those things were from my hands. Oh well.
At least the hands that have them now will love them. (Especially the burst!) and they will be well taken care of.
I also get visitation rights whenever I want. :)
Be kind, man
Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Comments

• puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Damn I'll cry for you. No I won't but I know it must have been hard to let them go. The reason was good though. Take care.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Gus_3218Gus_3218 Posts: 59
    Well, its sounds damn cliche man but at least you have your health....

I can imagine though, that starburst sounds sweeeet. I would love A les Paul, any typre, even a standard, let alone a 1960, 1959..... lucky to have had them man.... What else do you have, the ones you mentioned that sound better?
    ‘‘If somebody said to me, in twelve years you’ll be in a band with your brother and two carrot munching geezers who don’t like football I would have said fuck off, I’m not joining the Bee Gees.’’

Noel Gallagher
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Take lots of pictures. You have to set them free someday.

Hopefully someone will treat them well and enjoy playing them. I'd cry too. I'm glad you are ok medically all the same.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Well, Bob, from a guy a couple years your junior... I feel your pain man.

Especially the Goldtop... I know I'll cry over that one.

But hey, you got your health, you still got your other guitars, and you still got us punk kids to keep in line.

Chin up, man... maybe an Explorer will catch your eye, and who knows from there?

It's better to have loved and lost, then to never owned the guitars at all...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • If I don't need the treatment,,,, what an f'n party I can throw!

I can't say that anything I have sounds better I guess, just different.
    My Sg is great.
    I also made a Les Paul shaped string through the body Flying V style lighter wooded Korina all kinds of pickup combinationed great tunered jumbo fretted string bending one that is awesome. After all the push pull pots and combos I put into it, I only use the humbucker neck and bridge choices anyway!
    My old Paul Reed Smith bolt on strat style, and G&L are great strat style with the boinky sounds.
    64 Guild Starfire is a cool blues guitar ala Buddy Guy.
    I guess I still have plenty to keep me busy!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

UP WITH YOUR LIFE, guy.

I wish you the best things, and i wish u to play guitar until 120 years old (and more again).

Excuse me for my shitty english, but