For those wanting quiet tube amps.

who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
edited January 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I used to play 100 watt Marshall stacks, then lower 50 watts, twins, mesa boogies,then 22 watt Fender Deluxes. They are all way loud in a small space when you crank them to their proper level.
I even have a one watt Martone tube amp that cranks pretty damn loud!
Here's why, a sound tech gave me this chart once, in case you're interested:

40 watts is 94% as loud as 50 watts.
30 watts is 86% as loud as 50 watts.
25 watts is 81% as loud as 50 watts.
22 watts is 78% as loud as 50 watts.
20 watts is 76% as loud as 50 watts.
18 watts is 74% as loud as 50 watts.
15 watts is 70% as loud as 50 watts.
12 watts is 65% as loud as 50 watts.
10 watts is 62% as loud as 50 watts.
9 watts is 60% as loud as 50 watts.
8 watts is 56% as loud as 50 watts.
7 watts is 55% as loud as 50 watts.
6 watts is 53% as loud as 50 watts.
5 watts is 50% as loud as 50 watts.
4 watts is 47% as loud as 50 watts.
3 watts is 43% as loud as 50 watts.
2 watts is 38% as loud as 50 watts.
1 watt is 31% as loud as 50 watts.
3/4 watt is 28% as loud as 50 watts.
1/2 watt is 25% as loud as 50 watts
Be kind, man
Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Comments

• Numbers of speakers and ohmage will affect that chart, but assuming you keep those the same, that chart is pretty accurate. Good info, Bob.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Numbers of speakers and ohmage will affect that chart, but assuming you keep those the same, that chart is pretty accurate. Good info, Bob.

Yeah, a lot of variables there.
    But people do get the perception that a 50 watt amp is half as loud as a 100 watt.

I guess you get that as a sound engineer. The guitar player has a 100 watt stack and complains because he has to keep it on "2"!

Not that I ever did that!:D
    Be kind, man

But if there's a PA, anything between 10 and 40 watts is plenty.
  • Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Well, a 100-watt stack is great if you play 5000+ seats, or outdoors in a big space...

But if there's a PA, anything between 10 and 40 watts is plenty.

When I played at bigger places, there was no more guitar fun than cranking a 100 watt stack with no effects or nothing. But once PA systems got better, (and of course,,,sound engineers!) it's fun to crank a baby fender and have it miked up by the sound people! Amazing how big a little tiny fender can sound. aka Neil Young.
    Be kind, man
    where'd you buy your martone? i like the Zvex's I just love the headroom from louder amps. I'm wanting a 22 watt deluxe a 40 watt vibrolux or a 40 watt super reverb.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Aren't Super Reverbs 45 watts?
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Yep.
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • Originally posted by who's_pearljam?
    The guitar player has a 100 watt stack and complains because he has to keep it on "2"!

Not that I ever did that!:D

err yeah me too... honest :|
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Aren't Super Reverbs 45 watts?

same tube compliment. It's 2 6L6's 40 watts. It just has more speakers.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Originally posted by Pacomc79
    where'd you buy your martone? i like the Zvex's I just love the headroom from louder amps. I'm wanting a 22 watt deluxe a 40 watt vibrolux or a 40 watt super reverb.

I bought it at di pinto guitars in Philly. I think he ships if you want. Otherwise, I can get you one if you want. I think he lives right in town. (Philly)

http://www.dipintoguitars.com/vintage/amps/1watt.htm

It's like 375 bucks. Cheaper than the zvex and sounds great. It has a master volume on it too.
    They always have weird stuff in that store. Great place

John Martin makes clone tweed fenders that are just great, and relatively cheap.

They have a homemade Leslie cabinet and speaker for 125 bucks there, too, I was thinking of finishing it as a coffee table. Watch the beer slowly bounce towards the edge.:D
    Be kind, man

Yep, you're right. Damn. I could've swore 45 watts. Anyways, can't argue with the master:

http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/

40 watts for blackface and early silverface, later silverface were 70 watts, and the Pro Tube reissues are 60 watts.

The reissued '59 Bassman amps are 45 watts... perhaps my confusion.