who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
edited January 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Be kind, man
Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Comments

• Options
    puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Now's that scary!
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    and say you found it...it's not like you could profit. Who the hell buys a 3 million dollar violin?? The Mob?

Are you ebay the thing starting at 2 million dollars?
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    wow that's service, for the record you can't buy an instrument like that.

Violins are like magical unicorns. Only a very very few truely wonderful instruments have been crafted, those have been passed down over the centuries.

More than likely this man is a master, traditonally a group will pool money and purchase this violin from it's former owner or foundation and give it to a new master who will play it untill it's time for him to pass it on.

Amazing how long great violins have been passed down.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    wow that's service, for the record you can't buy an instrument like that.

Violins are like magical unicorns. Only a very very few truely wonderful instruments have been crafted, those have been passed down over the centuries.

More than likely this man is a master, traditonally a group will pool money and purchase this violin from it's former owner or foundation and give it to a new master who will play it untill it's time for him to pass it on.

Amazing how long great violins have been passed down.

or worst, it becomes a collector's items in some private home, never to be played or enjoyed.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by puremagic
    or worst, it becomes a collector's items in some private home, never to be played or enjoyed.

yeah, thankfully there are groups that do all they can so that does not happen.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Once I was at the new Kimmel Center in Philly, backstage where the Philadelphia Orchestra was gathering for the night. I saw a Stradivarius violin in someone's hand's. Just the sight of an instrument like that brings a tear to your eye, and stops your breath. ( mine anyway)

To see a 250 year old instrument like that , and to think of all the great masters that have played it is amazing. I would bet that the actual physical structure of the violin isn't as important as the hands that play it. Because whoever is playing it has earned the right, and is also respecting and summoning all the prior virtuosos that used it.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart