Options

Anyone know how to record to a computer ?

who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
edited February 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
This is where I am at my stupidest!

I just got an Ibook, with usb ports and firewire and Garage band software, which I may or may not use long term. I'll probably get protools later.

I've got amps everywhere, guitars all over, cords and mikes.

Now all I have to do is get the music into the computer! I want to mike the amp into the computer. Does anyone know the best way , or a way to connect? What type of interface?

That way I can help "reverb" who wants to know if "garage band" is any good!
Be kind, man
Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Comments

• Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i'm guessing that you'll need an interface card that can take line/mic level audio inputs.

i bet there are some that interface via USB and/or firewire. i've never looked into though since i've never had a good enough computer to record with and i have the standalone 8-track.
  • Options
    Thanks.
    It is amazing, that for the amount of stuff I have around and have used, it's that 1 inch space between the end of the mike cord and the computer that has always baffled me!
    I've always just used standalone stuff, too.
    Be kind, man
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    get a tape recorder a microphone and some tape. Tape the microphone to the computer base. press record. Presto.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    have a browse through this.

http://www.music123.com/Department/?d=7&dd=954728573

There it is, $149 m audio mobile pre usb,
    Cool. Thanks exhausted.
    Be kind, man

If that interface doesn't work, I'll tape the recorder to the computer. Then 'posting' it, will involve mailing the whole shebang to whoever wants to listen!
    Be kind, man

Easy.

Download this software (Kazaa): Magix Music Maker Deluxe 2004
    (or buy it)

It´s a great 86 track recorder, super user-friendly. Just plug your instrument or mic in your PC sound card, press REC, and that´s it.

Regards,

Gonzalo
  • Options
    Originally posted by gonzaloc
    I know a better way:

Easy.

Download this software (Kazaa): Magix Music Maker Deluxe 2004
    (or buy it)

It´s a great 86 track recorder, super user-friendly. Just plug your instrument or mic in your PC sound card, press REC, and that´s it.

Regards,

Gonzalo

Thanks for the input,Gonzalo.
    I may try that program, but I am still trying to plug the mike in to something!:(
    I have a laptop Ibook, so it needs a place to plug the mike in! They make usb adapters and all, I guess I just have to find them.!

Cheers
    Bob
    Be kind, man

You could just plug your mic into a soundboard, then plug the soundboard into the computer's Line In jack, assuming you have a soundboard to use. Those USB systems are pretty cool, too, and you should definitely be able to use that. But if you have a Line In on your soundcard, and a soundboard, and the right cable (whatever output from the soundboard to 1/8" mini stereo jack), then you can just do that.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Yo Bob...

You could just plug your mic into a soundboard, then plug the soundboard into the computer's Line In jack, assuming you have a soundboard to use. Those USB systems are pretty cool, too, and you should definitely be able to use that. But if you have a Line In on your soundcard, and a soundboard, and the right cable (whatever output from the soundboard to 1/8" mini stereo jack), then you can just do that.

I have a 16 track Mackie board, not the most portable!
    No line in, but I saw the Tascam thing that you recommended on the other thread, just a little interface to go straight in to usb. That looks better than the audio mobile one.
    Poiifect!.... Nyah nyah!

Thanks MIG
    Be kind, man
    I have a 16 track Mackie board, not the most portable!
    No line in, but I saw the Tascam thing that you recommended on the other thread, just a little interface to go straight in to usb. That looks better than the audio mobile one.
    Poiifect!.... Nyah nyah!

Thanks MIG

The DigiDesign USB box is my favorite, but it's a bit pricey, and I don't think you can use it with anything but ProTools (although it comes with ProTools LE, a big plus for me). Here it is:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040205211623150131025144468229/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/240469/

Line 6 has a modeler interface for guitar inputs, it's not very versatile (really only for guitar) but it's worth mentioning for bare guitar tracks:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040205211623150131025144468229/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/482232/

And the one I was very curious about, a new unit from Mackie:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Spike/

To really use that system, though, you should go firewire, like Mark of the Unicorn:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040205211623150131025144468229/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/240116/
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.