Martin Barre's tone-

who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
edited October 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Gives me the chills!

:D

So, Monday night I saw the Stones and was blown away.

Last night I saw Jethro Tull, and was once again, blown away!
Go see them!!!! This venue was only 1300 seats.
They're doing mostly old stuff because they're promoting a Live Aqualung CD , and all the profits go to charities.

Martin Barre, if you haven't heard of him, is one of the great rock guitarists of all time.
He played a Paul Reed Smith and a couple of custom made electrics with humbuckers,,,, a Tube Screamer,,,some sort of switching rig to the different amp channels, and a couple of Soldano amps and Marshall cabs. Pretty basic overall, but his range of sound was pretty wide, just by the way he digs in with his pick.

Righteous tone when he dug in! The tone and bite in his solos made my hair stand on end. Some of those old songs are spectacular,,,
Ian Anderson is looking good, too, and was on fire last night at 58 yrs old!
Not jumping around like he used to,, and I didn't see him do any splits! :D
His voice is really amazing, though.
Be kind, man
Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Comments

• House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    he rocked Hiwatts back in the day too... great stuff.
    There's No Code.
  • House53 wrote:
    he rocked Hiwatts back in the day too... great stuff.

House "53",,,, that's the year I was born! One of the advantages of being this old is that I got to see all those bands from the start. They're like old friends and soundtracks of my life.
    I started playing in maybe '64,, (When I first saw the Stones on TV) and late 60's I was interested in amps and guitars and refining stuff,,,, and I remember seeing some band nobody ever heard of named Jethro Tull open upfor Led Zeppelin.
    When they started playing, it was like, : :eek: . THESE GUYS ARE AMAZING!!! They blew the doors off the place.
    That Led Zeppelin band wasn't bad either. :D
    I always remember the Hiwatts for Barre, and the stacks of Marshalls waiting for Jimmy Page to come out. That was definitely a Les Paul night with those 2 guitar players!
    Be kind, man
    I started playing in maybe '64,, (When I first saw the Stones on TV) and late 60's I was interested in amps and guitars and refining stuff,,,, and I remember seeing some band nobody ever heard of named Jethro Tull open upfor Led Zeppelin.
    When they started playing, it was like, : :eek: . THESE GUYS ARE AMAZING!!! They blew the doors off the place.
    That Led Zeppelin band wasn't bad either. :D
    I always remember the Hiwatts for Barre, and the stacks of Marshalls waiting for Jimmy Page to come out. That was definitely a Les Paul night with those 2 guitar players!

JT is at Chastain in atlanta on Sabado, porque, the wine and cheese crowd dictates that venue and the freaking stick in the mud politically connected homeowners who chose to build thier multimillion dollar houses around an ampitheater have people with db meters standing at the back of the venue to prevent the sound from becoming too loud. so I'd like to see them but I'd like to hear the whole show too.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    JT is at Chastain in atlanta on Sabado, porque, the wine and cheese crowd dictates that venue and the freaking stick in the mud politically connected homeowners who chose to build thier multimillion dollar houses around an ampitheater have people with db meters standing at the back of the venue to prevent the sound from becoming too loud. so I'd like to see them but I'd like to hear the whole show too.

There definitely was a wine and cheese crowd there!

You know how I dealt with that?

I had wine and cheese! :D ,
    and enjoyed the HELL out of the show. A lot of it was acoustic,,,, those songs like Skating away on the thin ice, and Wondering Aloud,,, are just too beautiful to pass up.
    This was inside, at a 1300 seat theater.
    I think the Decibel Police have been outside of some Stones shows, too, but they haven't been shut down yet.
    The show started at like 8:00 and was done early,,, so maybe the McMansion Crowd can stay up that late on a Sabado Noche! :)

You also get a free CD with the show,,, Live Aqualung, that they recorded recently in a radio studio,, which is fantastic.:cool:
    Be kind, man

You know how I dealt with that?

I had wine and cheese! :D ,
    and enjoyed the HELL out of the show. A lot of it was acoustic,,,, those songs like Skating away on the thin ice, and Wondering Aloud,,, are just too beautiful to pass up.
    This was inside, at a 1300 seat theater.
    I think the Decibel Police have been outside of some Stones shows, too, but they haven't been shut down yet.
    The show started at like 8:00 and was done early,,, so maybe the McMansion Crowd can stay up that late on a Sabado Noche! :)

You also get a free CD with the show,,, Live Aqualung, that they recorded recently in a radio studio,, which is fantastic.:cool:

that's what I heard, it's 33 bones but I think I can swing it if there are any seats left. I really would like to hear the 56 minute version of Thick as a Brick :D
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    that's what I heard, it's 33 bones but I think I can swing it if there are any seats left. I really would like to hear the 56 minute version of Thick as a Brick :D

I saw them perform Thick as a Brick when it came out. Complete with stage sets and actors and all sorts of weird cool stuff happening on that stage. Then second set was acoustic morphing into rip roaring turned up Tull. Their shows are unique!

33 bucks for one of the great bands in history?

Priceless! :cool:

That''s the price of a few pina coladas in a fu fu bar listening to cheesy jukebox fake island music.
    Be kind, man
    .....it's for you.

:D

And Paco,,,, 33 bucks to see Tull with Lucia Micarelli playing violin?

More priceless! She's amazing, and is playing with them on the American leg of the tour!
    Be kind, man