Just went to the Rock and Roll museum in Cleveland

who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
edited September 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I went to visit Hippiemom in Cleveland for a few days. We went to the Rock and Roll Museum on Friday for my first time.
It was pretty cool to see all the exhibits. Much cooler than I thought it would be, but it ended up being a pilgrimage when we went to the lower level, and there were some of my favorite guitars ever!:

Duane Allman's '59 Les Paul ,,,,,,,,,, Damn!
A kiosk with 4 of Jerry Garcia's handmade guitars. My favorite guitars!
And Les Paul's first 52 Les Paul!

Annnnnnd, a blast from the past, someone who most of you may not know about, John Cipollina, from Quicksilver Messenger Service. A great great band from before most of you were born. I saw them quite a few times and I always loved his home made amp setup. You've never seen anything like it. I turned around a corner and there it was!:

http://www.johncipollina.com/images/ampStack01.jpg

THAT was worth it right there!

Also, honorable mention, Mick Jones (Clash) smashed up bass. This is the bass just about 1/2 second before it became a museum piece :D :
http://www.recordsale.de/cdpix/t/the_clash-_london_calling.jpg

One of the great album covers ever.
Be kind, man
Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Awesome, need to check it out one day.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    WOW!! nice loaded HORN tweeters! ha ha, gives loaded horn a whole new meaning.

I hope HM is doing well.

I see a twin, probably a 70's bassman I think the two on the bottom are bass amps, there is an echo unit on one side then some sort of modulation or reverb unit on the other side. the pedal looks kind of like a mutron but maybe not, the other one looks like a leslie pedal but that's wrong too I think. Obviously Vox wahs, now that I look again, it's probably a homemade box to control the whole unit, it just looks like an old leslie controller.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    WOW!! nice loaded HORN tweeters! ha ha, gives loaded horn a whole new meaning.

I hope HM is doing well.

I see a twin, probably a 70's bassman I think the two on the bottom are bass amps, there is an echo unit on one side then some sort of modulation or reverb unit on the other side. the pedal looks kind of like a mutron but maybe not, the other one looks like a leslie pedal but that's wrong too I think. Obviously Vox wahs, now that I look again, it's probably a homemade box to control the whole unit, it just looks like an old leslie controller.

I actually took notes on the back of a flyer when I was there. Hmmm, I can't even read my own writing.:

His guitars were wired so that the one pickup went straight to the two Standel Bass amps on bottom, and the treble pickup went to the Twin Reverb, and the Dual Showman on top drove the horns.

Astro Echoplex on the right and a Standel Modulux on the left of the Twin. Then there was a Maestro fuzz and vox wah's like you said.
    Then the controller with truck running lights on it.
    Yup,,, that would be a fun rig to roll into a club. The sound guy would FREAK! :D

Send your best vibes to HM. :)
    Be kind, man

Walk in and greeted by Clapton's Blackie. Awesome.

Unreal Hendrix exhibit, too.
    Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I was at the Rock Hall last year....I pointed-out an erroneous photo caption in The Clash exhibit, and they fixed it.

I had just seen She Wants Revenge open for Placebo the night before, and at the Rock Hall, I saw a Joy Division exhibit. I immediatley thought that She Wants Revenge should be there, bowing-down to the exhibit, since they so obviously ripped-off their sound!
    :)
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    I was at the Rock Hall last year....I pointed-out an erroneous photo caption in The Clash exhibit, and they fixed it.

I had just seen She Wants Revenge open for Placebo the night before, and at the Rock Hall, I saw a Joy Division exhibit. I immediatley thought that She Wants Revenge should be there, bowing-down to the exhibit, since they so obviously ripped-off their sound!
    :)

Ha! Nice work on fixing The Clash

One thing we noticed,,,,, where the hell was David Bowie?
    They had some of Jimi Hendrix's, and Morrison's, and Strummer's clothes.

I mean, if ANYONE had outfits to put up on the wall,,, good ol' David Bowie would be able to fill that place up!

It's kind of funny to see the suits and figure how tall people were. Joe Strummer was short, but Curtis Mayfield must have been 6' 9"!!!
    Be kind, man
    In the present tense.
  • Could swear that fx pedal on the far left is a Maestro dual-stage Phaser... one of my all-time favorites...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I went to the hall of fame in either 95 or 96, I forget. But yes it was awesome. My favorite guitar was John Lennon's old Rickenbacker. I don't know if it's true, but they said that the last time he played it was at the Beatles final concert, at Candlestick Park. Because of this it still had the setlist for that show taped to the back of the guitar.
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Not a techie at all but.. Duane Allman's '59 Les Paul! And Jerry's guitars! And.... Quicksilver :D.. I'm old enough! :D
  • redrock wrote:
    Not a techie at all but.. Duane Allman's '59 Les Paul! And Jerry's guitars! And.... Quicksilver :D.. I'm old enough! :D

Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver Messenger Service. The first major psychedelic hippie music! Look what happened to us after that! :D
    I still have those old raggedy edge albums that look like salad bowls now. It take about three quarters taped to the needle to play those suckers any more!

And some of my favorite slide guitar music ever came out of Duane's guitar.
    Be kind, man