Anyone else break a particular guitar string alot?

DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
edited July 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I swear, I must break the D String on my guitar once a week. I find my self replacing that one the most. I usually re-string my guitar about every 2 to 3 weeks or 24 hours before a gig...but my D strings breaks alot...on both my guitars. It sucks cause I have a bunch of spare string sets that I have to use but that sucks cause come time to restring my entire guitar I'm missing the 4th string cause I already used it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Strangely I have never broken a string ever. And I really smash out chords on my acoustic.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • i've only broken 2 or 3 while playing. Although i've had a few snap on me when fuckin around with tunings.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • i've had a few snap on me when fuckin around with tunings.

Me too.

I was once guitar tech for bloke who broke seventeen guitar strings in one gig and only had two acoustic guitars. And yes, he got through all six strings he had on each guitar at the start of the gig, plus another five between the two again. Funny thing was, he was a great rhythm player. You wouldn't think it with that kind of abuse he gave his guitars. (And yes, I did set up his strings properly. ;))
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    What kinda guitars? Maybe some graphite saddles or a re-shaped nut would help... sometimes you'll develop a sharp edge somewhere that will snap strings. Do the strings break in the same location each time?

One more tip... some guitar stores will sell single strings, so you might be able to buy like 10 D strings instead of a whole package.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • NullifidianNullifidian Posts: 110
    I've only really broke a string once while playing but the story I think is worth telling. I broke my high E string, it snapped and went straight through my little finger on my left hand! Now it just went through the skin but there was was a good amount of blood so everyone watching thought it was pretty awesome lol
    [Kitchener 05 - London 05 - Hamilton 05 - Toronto 05 - Astoria 06 - Dublin 06 - Leeds 06 - Reading 06 - Wembley 07] -- I think I've had enough ....
  • DieasGreyDieasGrey Posts: 124
    I really only break high e's
    G's once and while bu ti have a stock pile of all the other strings haha.
    No one is Righteous.......
  • Strangely I have never broken a string ever. And I really smash out chords on my acoustic.
    You must be using bass strings then... or maybe you play once or twice a year.. ;)

thats weird.. you should replace them every 1/2 year or so at least..
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • "You must be using bass strings then... or maybe you play once or twice a year..

thats weird.. you should replace them every 1/2 year or so at least.."

Yah who knows whats up... Do strings lose their tension as they age? I haven't changed them in 2 years. Never a break. hmmm, i guess my electric could use some new ones too.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • "You must be using bass strings then... or maybe you play once or twice a year..

thats weird.. you should replace them every 1/2 year or so at least.."

Yah who knows whats up... Do strings lose their tension as they age? I haven't changed them in 2 years. Never a break. hmmm, i guess my electric could use some new ones too.
    absolutley.

my strings (which hadn't been replaced in about a year i'd guess) were constantly coming out of tune and a change in strings cleared it right up :)

"Make our day"
  • Damn if I didn't have the same problem with my D-string. My drummer had a good suggestion though, just to see whether it was a sharp edge cutting the string or not: Switch the saddles around on the bridge. I did in order to see if there was a sharp edge, and I haven't snapped a string since. Or you could just go out and spend five dollars on new saddles.
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    I always break an E string at gigs. I just has to happen that way. I don't know why.
  • Damn if I didn't have the same problem with my D-string. My drummer had a good suggestion though, just to see whether it was a sharp edge cutting the string or not: Switch the saddles around on the bridge. I did in order to see if there was a sharp edge, and I haven't snapped a string since. Or you could just go out and spend five dollars on new saddles.
    my e string had that problem.. i just sanded down the edge a bit and it works just fine :)

"Make our day"
  • leethalleethal Posts: 134
    My strings rust really quickly, like in two weeks. Usually its the e and b that go. It annoys me because even though I wipe the strings down they rust every time.

thats cuz its an acoustic.the strings are tougher.

i always break the d string. broke my high e fuckin around with tunings once. almost broke my low e one time messing with tunings.
    i gather speed...from u fucking with me

"i am the first man to shit my pants ya whew!"

its no crime to escape..theres still time to escape...theres still time so escape...

"yellow ledbetter is like the smoke after a 3 hour fuckfest" - 62strat

st.louis 04, chicago 06, and counting...
  • dreadheaddreadhead Posts: 64
    i always break the fourth string and in my opinion if u dont have strings on hand its the worst string to break coz u cant play shit.
    "I wish I was Australian at home under the sun" Eddie- Perth 03