Pedal Steel

hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
edited December 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Anyone play? I picked up a mid-70s Fender (actually made by Sho-Bud but licensed to Fender) on the cheap in April and am having a blast with it.
Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• A what?? I'm not familiar with that term. Would you explain?
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • A what?? I'm not familiar with that term. Would you explain?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw9xvy1DWsk&feature=related
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Yeah, that's it. I know it's a long shot on a PJ board but I was just curious. I like Robert a lot but am much more into the country-type playing.
    Anyway to answer the question above, here's what a pedal steel guitar is:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedal_steel_guitar
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    hailhail82 wrote:
    Yeah, that's it. I know it's a long shot on a PJ board but I was just curious. I like Robert a lot but am much more into the country-type playing.
    Anyway to answer the question above, here's what a pedal steel guitar is:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedal_steel_guitar

Robert Randolph is freaking awesome, it's not that far fetched considering Ben Harper is so into the lap steel.

They are really cool instruments. A little tough to figure out and learn, but I definately appreciate a good PS player, there is nothing like it. I just haven't been able to spend any time with one yet. They are a little hard to find.

I've always wanted to own a good resonator as much as I'm into blues.

Do you use any effects with it like compression or anything?

It's probably my scots ancestry that has me so in love with harmonics and drone tones.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I haven't really got into effects with it yet too much other than a little reverb and some tremelo. Running it a little dirty is fun too (ala Eric Heywood on the early Son Volt records).
    I'm by no means an accomplished player but I was pretty surprised how easy it was to get the basic mechanics down after hearing how hard it was. The picking intervals are definately the most challenging for me rather than the knee-levers and foot-pedals. I'm sure it helped that I played lap steel for a while beforehand, but they aren't too similar.
  • I wish i had or could play one!

I can't even play a REGULAR guitar. :(

Some of my favorite guitar sounds are the pedal steel on the Dead's American Beauty

Candyman in particular,
    and also Sugar Magnolia.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Jerry's steel playing was very cool. very crude and full of emotion. Workingman's Dead has great steel all over it.