A boy and his guitar.

rorrim_weiv_raerrorrim_weiv_raer Posts: 99
edited December 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok, I feel like this board is a good place for me to share a story.

So a friend I work with comes up and asks if I wanted to hear a weird story about a guitar. I said sure.

So he said that he went up to the Guitar Center in Lynnwood, WA as he does once or twice a week. As he walks in a guitar on the wall catches his attention and he walks over to it. The salesman asks if he can help him, he says "yes I want to see that guitar right there" and points to a guitar. The salesman brings the guitar down and says, "do you know much about this guitar?" My friend said, "yeah, its my guitar." The salesman says, "what do you mean?" My friend said, "it was stolen from my house 30 years ago." So the salesman asks him how he knows its "his" guitar. My friend goes to show him the pickup that he disconnected because he didn't like how it sounded. It was still disconnected. The salesman said thats not enough info to prove its yours. My friend asked if they still had the case. The salesman said, "yeah its in the back." So my friend tells him of 3 stickers on the case and exactly where they were. The salesman goes back to get the case and sure enough all 3 stickers in the right place. So my friend starts getting angry because they're not working with him by telling him who brought it in so he then mentions bringing the police into it. My friend calls the police and they check the records but in the report there is no serial number or receipt of the guitar. Nothing they can do without it! The salesman tells him that it is for sale for $1199.

My friend goes on to tell me the history of the guitar. His grandma bought him this guitar for $200 back when he was 16. He played it 6-10 hours a day and even slept with it. He never let go of the guitar. Later on when he got married he was going to bring it on the honeymoon but his wife said, "you can do without it for a week. He said, "no I have to practice." She wouldn't let him bring it. So the whole week on the honeymoon he is missing the guitar. When they get back home they come home to an empty house! His guitar and amp are gone!!! That marriage lasted almost 2 years.

So 30 years later he goes into a guitar shop and finds it on the wall and isn't able to get it back because he doesn't have the money because his new wife has just gone thru a battle with cancer.

So this whole story touched me and I go up to Guitar Center and buy it. The guitar wasn't there but I put a deposit down on it. It was out being cleaned and tuned. I then went to work the next day and started telling people about what I did. My friend had told a bunch of people the story and so people started donating money for it.

So the next day at work my friend comes to me with teary eyes and said, "ITS GONE." I asked what he meant. He said, " I went up to Guitar Center and saw the guitar behind the counter with a sold sticker on it." He asked the salesman and he told him that it was sold. My friend said, "its hard to see something you've lost come soo close to being yours again and then its gone again forever." So after work I go up and pay the rest of it and pick it up and take it home.

A week later I brought the guitar into work and set it up in his work area and didn't say anything. When he came into work and saw it he came out to my work area with the guitar and was crying. He thanked me and the guys I was working with. He was like a kid in a candy store!!

Now every night at work he comes and tells us another memory he had of the guitar when he was a kid as they come to him.

He now locks the guitar up a safe when he goes to work and has said that this time the guitar will never get away from him.

I don't know anything about guitars but the guitar mentioned above was a 1964 Gretsch Corvette
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• oh my goodness, what an amazing story! that's wonderful that he found it again, and so great of you guys to do that for him :) really brilliant.

a first guitar will always be the special guitar, with so many stories attatched to it....:)
  • If it looks anything like this: http://www.robwesley.com/guitars/listings/Gretsch%20Corvette%206135%20mahogany%201965/

then it's a smoking guitar, if only for the looks.

My first guitar , a squier strat, got stolen and so did the follow up, a mexican tele. That really does suck. I don't think I could ever get attached to a guitar like this guy did, cause I'm just way to sober for that, but I do love my current American 1993 tele, my little champ and especially my acoustic. It has no big brand name, was cheap, but it does sound really good to me and it was a gift from my g/f.
  • Nope, the guitar doesn't look anything like that one "pearlwax."

I wish that I had taken some pics of it while it was here. I'll try to get some pics of it.

I just can't imagine being without something for 30 years and then having it come back.

My friend is a studio guitar player and does local shows on weekends with his band and has been using it at the shows.