What should I add to my kit?

CadenceCadence Posts: 16
edited June 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
i bought a drumset about a month ago. it's just a basic cheap beginner's kit...and i want to expand on it a little. i was thinking another crash/ride...or a china. any suggestions?
the ablitly to quote is a serviceable substituion for wit.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• silassilas Posts: 23
    What are your kit specs? If you have cheap cymbals, I'd start replacing those before I would worry about drums, because with good tuning you can get a great sound out of bad drums. I can't really say anything until I see you kit specs..The first upgrade I bought for my kit was a Zildjian splash, then new hihats, then a 8 inch tom..
  • ShwnShwn Posts: 37
    I agree that the cymbals should be the first things replaced.
    "One day we will all be in the soil with no gods to slave to, and no heroes to kill for"
    -Between the Buried and Me
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Drum heads are a good investment... upgrading the cymbals...

If you want toys, I always loved riveted ride cymbals (sizzle ride). Riveted crash cymbals are cool, too. A splash cymbal is a popular toy, but not one I ever cared for.

Oh, what about a new kick pedal, or at least a new beater, if you aren't happy with the one you have?

There's the new Pearl TomBorine:
    http://www.pearldrum.com/04_nuupdates/pp/ptb-10.jpg

Or a cowbell... I need more cowbell!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • BoomDaddyBoomDaddy Posts: 51
    yeah the china symbol and splash cymbals are awesome.I wish i could have those on my set.I only have a 5 piece tama rockstar
  • ROTO TOMS!!!!!!!!!!!Neil Peart look out
    www.myspace.com/evenflowrocks

heathen frog psycho number ONE!
  • Survo-Survo- Posts: 72
    depends on what u want. perhaps a doubgle bass peddle. cymbals. w/e u want!
  • CadenceCadence Posts: 16
    cool...thanks guys. i think i have decided to get another crash and then slowly update the rest of my cymbols...considering i am about ready to rip through one or two of them!
    the ablitly to quote is a serviceable substituion for wit.
    I have a ride cymbal I'd sell to anyone interested... It's a Sabian 20" ride. It's pretty bright and has a good decay. I'm looking for a dark ride (preferably a dark, dry ride) so I'd be willing to let this thing go for a decent price. I could keep it and make a sizzle out of it, but I don't want to end up having 14 pieces of brass around my kit.
  • artin90artin90 Posts: 66
    if i was you i would think about upgrading before i expand anything. if you have a really cheap kit and you dont think you can get a nicer kit. you would be surprised.
    “ ahh…. Yaa…. If you trust me at all… if you wanna listen to me at all… which you certainly don’t have to. Speaking from experience I can tell you that things change. You could believe me, you don’t have to. They probably won’t change, unless you make them. The best way to change something around you, something you don’t like, is.. to change yourself. I don’t think you want other people changing you.. I think.. I think.. the only person you want changing you… is yourself. So if you ain’t happy…. If you’re reading magazines about generation x’s and thinking ‘ya im one of them’ well fuck that…. Don’t let anybody tell you who you are. No… No…. No one can tell me who I am. I can tell you who I am but that would be a long story… I can tell you who I am and it wouldn’t fit in a Rolling Stone…. It wouldn’t fit in a video… it wouldn’t… its my life…. Its your life. Youre the only one that knows who you are. I hope you know who you are. If you don’t know who you are, figure it out. Cause you are some body. And Im probably stating the obvious. But I just thought I would do it anyway. So if you fell like you got a piece of duct tape on your mouth, if you feel like you cant speak. Take it off, Speak up. Speak your Mind. Shout it Out. Let ‘em Hear Ya. Shout it out…… YAAA YAAAAA yAAAAAAAAAAA.” Eddie Vedder (Porch ’96 Randle Island 2)

10/22/03
    Ten, No Code, Vs., Yield, Riot Act, Vitalogy, Binaural

Originally posted by artin90
    if i was you i would think about upgrading before i expand anything. if you have a really cheap kit and you dont think you can get a nicer kit. you would be surprised.

I've seen and heard a lot of kits out there... I work in live sound, so I get to hear every drum set VERY closely. And I'll be the first to tell ya... a cheap kit with good heads, tuned well, is better than a great kit that has lousy heads and lousy tuning. There aren't many kits that can't sound good...
  • dreadheaddreadhead Posts: 64
    i bought a double kick 2 years ago and truly was the best investment i ever made on the kit. its amazing how much it can open up ur playing. however if u r a begginer goo cymbals are a must
    "I wish I was Australian at home under the sun" Eddie- Perth 03
  • artin90artin90 Posts: 66
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    I've seen and heard a lot of kits out there... I work in live sound, so I get to hear every drum set VERY closely. And I'll be the first to tell ya... a cheap kit with good heads, tuned well, is better than a great kit that has lousy heads and lousy tuning. There aren't many kits that can't sound good...

heres why you should upgrade. first off, im not talking about like a custom $3000 kit. im assuming you have like $300 kit i dont know. But the real problem with those kits are bearing edges. the bearing edges are made really badly. so when you put heads on them and play for awhile it ruins the heads.
    “ ahh…. Yaa…. If you trust me at all… if you wanna listen to me at all… which you certainly don’t have to. Speaking from experience I can tell you that things change. You could believe me, you don’t have to. They probably won’t change, unless you make them. The best way to change something around you, something you don’t like, is.. to change yourself. I don’t think you want other people changing you.. I think.. I think.. the only person you want changing you… is yourself. So if you ain’t happy…. If you’re reading magazines about generation x’s and thinking ‘ya im one of them’ well fuck that…. Don’t let anybody tell you who you are. No… No…. No one can tell me who I am. I can tell you who I am but that would be a long story… I can tell you who I am and it wouldn’t fit in a Rolling Stone…. It wouldn’t fit in a video… it wouldn’t… its my life…. Its your life. Youre the only one that knows who you are. I hope you know who you are. If you don’t know who you are, figure it out. Cause you are some body. And Im probably stating the obvious. But I just thought I would do it anyway. So if you fell like you got a piece of duct tape on your mouth, if you feel like you cant speak. Take it off, Speak up. Speak your Mind. Shout it Out. Let ‘em Hear Ya. Shout it out…… YAAA YAAAAA yAAAAAAAAAAA.” Eddie Vedder (Porch ’96 Randle Island 2)

10/22/03
    Ten, No Code, Vs., Yield, Riot Act, Vitalogy, Binaural