advice on pedals and effects loops

ucsbucsb Posts: 58
edited November 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
What are ur guys' thoughts on effects loops? I have a boss RV-5 reverb a boss CE-5 CHoruse and a boss DD-6 delay....i love these pedals and they sound great! i put everything infornt of my amp without the effects loop and everything sounds great with the clean and the amps distortion but the reverb.....its like too much reverb.....so i have to put the "effect" knob like waaay down....but once i switch to clean i have to turn it up again cuz i dont here the reverb.....now someone said that this is happening because i am putting the reverb infront of the amps distortion...and that i should put it in the effects loop...and everything else normally like it is....in front of the amp...some dude at a guitar shop told me that if i put effects in the effects loop i will get this huge annoying buzz and will have to buy a noise supressor pedal.....look guys i am low on money so i cant really spend it...and i dont have an extra cable....so tell me what would u do??
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Well, first of all, try it before believing what any music-store moron tells you...

Second, I'd recommend at least trying any time-based FX in the FX loop. That includes your reverb, chorus, and delay. I have a feeling the chorus is gonna sound better in front of the amp, but try the reverb and delay in the FX loop. It might not be better, but it's so easy, it's worth a shot.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Mig's right.

If you're using the amp distortion, most of the time you put all your stuff after that. The distortion doesn't develop too well when reverb is going into it. You get better character from the distort when it runs of a clean signal from your guitar. Of course there are about a million variations and opinions on that.
    The chorus will sound different on either side of the distortion, so just experiment. There're no real rules,,,, but for a standard start on things, listen to that McCreadyisGod guy then you can branch out from there! :)
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • Delay HAS to be run through the effects loop to get the best effect. I have a chorus in the effects loop and it's okay but I have another one in front of the amp. You shouldn't need a suppresor either-he's probably trying to get you to buy stuff. As for the guy asking about both effects loops-its okay to do this but results might vary in terms of overall likeness
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy