combe amp for under 200

ucsbucsb Posts: 58
edited July 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I just need something decent with good distortion to play in my dorm room....any recomendations? I think Peavey prolly makes the best cheap solid state amps for around this price
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Get a used Line 6 Pod and some comfy headphones or cheap powered monitors.

later if you need to perform you can find a dirt cheap PA and it will sound way better than anything else in that price range and you'll have a ton of options, not only that you can record directly to your computer, trust me on this.

other good amps in the range, Vox valvetronix, Line 6 spider. Tons of used stuff.

If you can find one, Late 70's Early 80's Fender silverface champs and vibrochamps (all tube) should be in that range. They are awesome. But for the dorm room you really can't beat the line 6 pod or pod xt.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I love the Peavey TransTube amps, but AVOID THE TRANSTUBE EFX LIKE THE PLAGUE. Get the regular model, the ones with the COSM effects sucks balls.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • BriansGMCBriansGMC Posts: 33
    here are a few practice amps that I think are worth a consideration
    the Vox Pathfinder 15R really overdrive good tone, Gain Boost that kicks ass, Tremelo, and reverb. My old Roomate had one. I think it was the best practice amp I have ever played
    Vox Brian May isn't as versatile but sounds really damn good
    Marshall MG30 isn't too bad but is overpriced and not as responsive to your playing as either of the Vox amps. I owned one of these for about a year, you can get some really good metal tones out of it, but not much else, and the 8 inch speaker really doesn't do the amp justice. 30 watts needs at least a 10. (I wished Marshall would realize this)

I have played just about every current Peavey (closest music store sells only peavey) and they always seem to have way to much treble and no mids. Especially the Rage and Bandit amps. but thats my opinion
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    You ought to check out the Roland Microcube. It's $125 bucks and tiny. It can run on batteries or wall wart power. It's got built in effects that are decent, a few amp models. They are fun as hell to play. It's only 2 watts and a 5 inch speaker, but it can crank pretty well.

It has a line out and actually sounds pretty good going through a PA. Has a headphone jack.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart