Amp advice

ucsbucsb Posts: 58
edited May 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi,

I am looking for advice on amps. I want something very versatile and I do not want a Line 6.

Basically I want something that can give me these types of tones:

Stone: that sound that he gets on the video version of evenflow
Neil Young: That full sound he gets on the Long Road
Stone: that raunchy type sound on Rival and Life Wasted
Stone: remember when Stone used to play Crazy Mary on the his les paul..he used to get this really "wanna-be-Neil young" type sound. Kinda like a slightly distorted clean sound
Mike: That really cool bluesy type sound heard on The record version of Yellow Ledbetter
Adam Jones: I love his tone on Lateralus and 10,000 Days
Mike E. From Incubus...I love his tone.

Now I am not saying I want an amp that can 100% replicate these tones, but something that HAS THE ABILITY to get close to these sounds.

The best thing I could think of was a Mesa Boogie Double/Triple Rectifier. I have played these and can get some really cool heavy tones...but I have heard that if you fuck around with it enough you can get almost every tone....or at least come close to it.

This is what I play:

Crafter Acoutic Electric
Gibson Les Paul Studio
G&L Legacy Special Strat with humbucker stacks

what do you guys suggest?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I'm one of the guys who says you can get every tone you wnat or need out of a Mesa Rectifier. You don't need a triple thoiugh, a Dual is plenty.

The cleans are great, the pshed clean is a dynamic playground, teh raw modes on channel 2 and 3 are wooly wonderlands and teh vintage adn modern channels just keep getting nastire and meaner until your head or ears explode.

People seem down on Mesa at present, I think for the same reaon PRS is on the cooler, too srtong an association with too many nu-metal bands.

BUt teh amps are great. I have a Lonestar, sold my rectifier which was stupid, have my Mark2C+ being shipped this week.

You might look at eh Road King as well, gives you EL34 tones as well.
    Just rememberes, HUghes and Kettener Triamp is my number one amp, very much like teh rectifiers, a bit more civilised adn better footswitching options, and looks way cooler !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One amp to rule them all, and in the toneness bind them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Second on the Mesa. I'm currently coveting a Dual Rectifier. The 5:50 series looks intriguing as well.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    Novawind wrote:
    Second on the Mesa. I'm currently coveting a Dual Rectifier. The 5:50 series looks intriguing as well.

I have been coveting another rectifier since about 5 mins after I sold the last one. The only conpensation there, is that the guitar I sold it to cover is truly wonderful, and I would never have it otherwise.

There will be another !!

The Express are interesting, esp with teh 5 watt Class A circuit, that will be a little gem. They have that on the new Lonestars as well.

Lonestar Special is worth a look,too, don't think you will get teh heavy rocking crunch though.

For something different , teh Bad CAt I have will pull most of thos tones, but in a different way, you change channel there just by tweaking your guitar volume knob. The clean is so clean though, even on 11 you don't get that nice wooly break-up you can get fomr a reccy in the raw mode.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    make sure you look at the Single Rectifiers as well if you're shopping mesa and the old Nomads.

The Express series is kind of like the evolution of the F series so if you are looking at mesa's and cost is an issue....

check out the F50. Very very good sounding amp in the 1000 dollar range (at least in the US)

The Road King and any of their other Progressive Linkage amps are likely more versatile so if you've got $2500 laying around and you want the ultimate Mesa Boogie....definately at least play one first and get used to playing with knobs, it's got almost as many on the back as the front, but if you don't mind spending a while searching you can certainly dial in a lot of tones.

Also look at the Rect o verb which seems to have replaced the Trem o verb a popular rock amp for many years.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    For the Ledbetter tone, I'd go with a Fender tube amp but for the others, I'm gonna have to say the Mesa as well...espcially for Mike Einziger's tone.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
    YOu will get clean enoug 6L6 cleans out of the Mesa's.

With any of them, make sure yoiu get a master volume. A few of them don't have that including MArk 1's and teh Recto-verb I tried once did not have one. Whe you try them teh effects loop MUST be engaged. If it is not, the master volume is bypassed, effectively setting it on 10. Trust me, you will not get a tone worth having there, nor will you actually want to be in teh same room, unless you are already deaf and preferably unconscious.

Have a couple of frinds with Nomads, they are very happy, didnt sound like cost was much an issue to you. Mesa is so cheap i teh US anyway, a Road King head is only $1200 on ebay.