Options

Help

JSP552003JSP552003 Posts: 222
edited December 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok I know that I asked for advice on amps before but I have another question. I can get a good deal on a Carvin MTS 3200 head. How do these amps compare to other tube amps? If anyone knows, How is the clean on them? ANd how is the overdrive? Any help is appreciated.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Come on guys I need to know by today if possible. Should I get the Carvin MTS 3200 or wait and get like a marshall hdfx head w/ a 4 12 cab later? I know i can get the carvin for really cheap.
  • Options
    wait. It is "really" cheap there might be a reason for that. Condition or something. Wait and don't make the impulse buy I say. You will be happier in the end.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Options
    I don't know much about this one, but here's a link to check the reviews.
    http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Carvin/MTS3200-01.html

Make sure it's the sound you like before you buy! They make good stuff though.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    Thanks for the replies guys. I chickened out and didn't get it. I listened to a few sound clips and the distortion didn't quite sound like i wanted it to. I know tube amps are great, but I leaning toward getting the solid state marshall mg100hdfx because that way I won't have to worry about tubes going out right now because with my current job situation (that sounds better than saying I have no job, doesn't it?) I wouldn't be able to replace them right away and that would suck. Maybe after I get more money after a few years i could always invest in a good tube head. I was almost to the point where i would have bought any tube amp because I want a freakin new amp sooooooo bad. Thank God for self control.
  • Options
    Congratulations for not buying it. Usually those purchases result in the old "amp in the basement"
    A better one will come along
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Anyone know anything about Randall amps? They seem like they are used more for metal instead of the alternative sound (nirvana, pearl jam, pumpkins) I'm looking for although I do like to play some metal every now and then like metallica.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    http://www.harmony-central.com

Go to user reviews, and see what people have to say about different stuff.

Be careful, though... A Peavey 5150 will get great reviews, but they'll be from metal heads playing Jackson guitars and praising their Zoom multi-FX pedal. Just because a few folks think an amp sounds good to them don't mean it'll sound good to you.

Most of the early Pearl Jam stuff, most of Nirvana, and most of the Pumpkins were Marshall half- and full-stacks. If you want the classic grunge sound, buy a used corduroy jacket and an old Marshall.

The newer solid state Marshalls aren't bad... not great, but sufficient. And if you get the half-stack, you can eventually replace the head with a good tube head and keep the old solid-state as a back-up.

As always: TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.