Fender Telecasters

JSP552003JSP552003 Posts: 222
edited February 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
How do the Fender standard Made in Mexico teles compare with others? I've already read harmonycentral so please don't suggest that. I would just like to know what you guys think. Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Well, I have a mex made tele and I like it more than my american made tele. It just feels better and it suprisingly sounds better. I don't know if i got lucky but i played all of the tele's they had at the store and my purple mex tele sounded the best. so it's what i play most now. Hope this helps.
    I am the Lizard King I can do anything
  • I have a Mexi Tele, converted into an Esquire, but with the original body, neck, and hardware. It's a great-feeling, great-playing guitar. And the pickups were good, I just wanted something different. I'd say that, for the difference in price, anyone but a rich rockstar would be better off getting a Mexi rather than an American, unless resale-value is really important.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • you can find a real good mexican made guitar........they all have the same hardware as the american made.........just try a bunch of them out and i'm sure you'll find something that suits you.
  • Thanks guys. I've been playing a Gibson LP for a while now and love it, but I was wanting a change. I've heard good things about teles and I've liked the ones I've played. I'll be going to the local guitar store friday to check out what they have.

Any more replies are welcomed
  • Originally posted by JSP552003
    Thanks guys. I've been playing a Gibson LP for a while now and love it, but I was wanting a change. I've heard good things about teles and I've liked the ones I've played. I'll be going to the local guitar store friday to check out what they have.

Any more replies are welcomed

If you see a Squire Tele II (with Duncan-designed P-90's) give it a play for me, tell me what you think. I WANT ONE!
  • sure thing. I've never really played a guitar with p-90's. I saw Shinedown in Little Rock and they played a cover of Simple Man and their guitarist used an sg with them. It sounded good. what are they like?
  • Originally posted by JSP552003
    sure thing. I've never really played a guitar with p-90's. what are they like?

High-output single-coils. Very gritty, punchy, great mids, good lows. They're worth checking out... they're about half-way between a Les Paul's humbuckers and a Tele's twangy single-coils.
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    I love my '72 Custom Tele reissue, it's MiM. Sounds beautiful, I love it. The one and only luthier in town, who's awesome at making mandolins and acoustic guitars, said it was the best set up factory guitar he's seen. He wants to file a couple frets down just a bit, but other than that, the guitar is perfect.
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
    I posted his address in another thread...that I killed like this one.
    8-8-09 Calgary
    My URL

• Someone said that the teles from mexico have the same hardware. I don't think this is true is it?

The deluxes have noisless singlecoils and the just plain americans have some cool features like rounded neck edges and stuff. I believe there is a significant difference in quality. I was about to buy a 72 reissue but I decided to go with an american made tele HS instead. I realize that you can get lucky with a mexi but the quality is probably much more consistent with the americans. Also like I said I am pretty sure there is some upgrades in body and hardware with the americans.

If I were to order a guitar from the warehouse I would go with an american everytime. But it's a little different if your gonna buy from what the store stocks and can test them all.

Not takin away from that dude with the 72. I have to say no tele looks more badass then the 72 custom.

I would like to hear what pac says about this as he worked in a guitar center and all.

but theres my 2 cents
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • I just checked the fender site.

Mexican teles have a standard tele bridge. (thats all it says)
    American have stainless steel (read:no rust) saddles

Mexi has "vintage styling" for unique features
    American has Rolled Fingerboard Edges,
    Sharp ‘52 Style Body Radius (that maybe just the hh and hs)

mexi: it says has 2 standard single coil pups
    american: says has 2 american single coil pups.
    It doesn't tell the difference which is a little fishy.
    But they do imply better quality with the name. I whish they would specify.

Mexican =21 frets , "vintage style" (read: NO BEND FOR YOU!)
    american= 22 frets, "medium jumbo"

mexi is maple only
    american has rosewood or maple (a big deal for some)

mexi = Fender/Ping Standard Cast/Sealed Tuning Machines
    Amer= Fender/Schaller Deluxe Staggered Cast/Sealed Tuning Machines

mexi has cooler colour choices in my opinion. Midnight wine kills.

So theres some major technical differences. Not to mention a hard case thats probably worth around 100$

the big unanswered question is the difference between american and standard SC pups

Hope this helps
  • I still wanna see what paco exhausted or MIG or someone has to say about this.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i can't help. i've only played three telecasters in my life and only one for a long time.

a late 90s japanese 52 tele reissue. didn't like the fat neck or the vintage bridge.

a 1996 american standard that i own and will be buried with as it's my perfect guitar.

a new USA 52 reissue. i didn't like the neck or the vintage bridge. or the wiring.
    the american versions are generally always higher quality pups, tuners wood everything.

but sometimes you can find a ringer in the mexican made ones too.

honestly, taking a mexican one and upgrading certain components can get you a better guitar.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    The differences are very subtle. I think the US teles have better quality wood and more of it. (more wood generally equates to more tone) Generally the American Standard is pretty much the same as the Mexican standard in fact they are built about 20 miles apart from each other.

The differences come from the wants and desires of players.

Many people who play guitar want mainly a look and tone for a cheaper price so Fender decides what they want to make on a guitar and they start to find ways to make a guitar cheaper so more people can afford and purchase this guitar.

For one Mexican labor is way cheaper than American so building it there is a big cost cutter. They use chromed pot metal hardware and cheaper tuners. This saves money. The general pickup tone is around the same (they are both single coils) but through a very clean amp you can tell the Americans are a little sweeter. Tuners are cheaper and don't hold position as well as the gotohs.

Basically it's like the difference between a honda and an acura.

The honda is a very good basic a to b car. Well so is the acura but the hardware and the components are slightly better.

The features of the American Series guitars that make them better are just a little better quality components.

The wood makes a huge difference. The stainless steel bridge is a big step up in quality it's pretty much built to be your standard stage guitar to flog around and beat to death. The fretwork is more detailed and the Medium stainless frets are more comfy to the largest amount of players and facilitate easier bending. Tuners are more stout and hold their tune a lot more accurately.

Basically thats the best analogy I can give. They are both fine guitars. The American series is just the more refined version. If you are planning on buying one guitar and not changing get the American. If you just kind of want to add a tele or you don't plan on playing much the Mexican will suit you just fine. You have to really own both or play both for a while to know the subtleties.

Generally the more expensive you get the better the wood and components and care put into building the guitar, generally the more options are available to you to custom tailor your sound as well. This is why generally the most expensive instruments are the custom maid ones like Fender Custom Shop because basically they are charged with making you the perfect guitar for you.

If you are looking at Teles, especially Tele customs I suggest you look at this website http://www.carvin.com They make an excellent representation of a tele and you can have it built however you want it.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    The differences are very subtle. I think the US teles have better quality wood and more of it. (more wood generally equates to more tone) Generally the American Standard is pretty much the same as the Mexican standard in fact they are built about 20 miles apart from each other.

The differences come from the wants and desires of players.

Many people who play guitar want mainly a look and tone for a cheaper price so Fender decides what they want to make on a guitar and they start to find ways to make a guitar cheaper so more people can afford and purchase this guitar.

For one Mexican labor is way cheaper than American so building it there is a big cost cutter. They use chromed pot metal hardware and cheaper tuners. This saves money. The general pickup tone is around the same (they are both single coils) but through a very clean amp you can tell the Americans are a little sweeter. Tuners are cheaper and don't hold position as well as the gotohs.

The honda is a very good basic a to b car. Well so is the acura but the hardware and the components are slightly better.

The features of the American Series guitars that make them better are just a little better quality components.

The wood makes a huge difference. The stainless steel bridge is a big step up in quality it's pretty much built to be your standard stage guitar to flog around and beat to death. The fretwork is more detailed and the Medium stainless frets are more comfy to the largest amount of players and facilitate easier bending. Tuners are more stout and hold their tune a lot more accurately.

Basically thats the best analogy I can give. They are both fine guitars. The American series is just the more refined version. If you are planning on buying one guitar and not changing get the American. If you just kind of want to add a tele or you don't plan on playing much the Mexican will suit you just fine. You have to really own both or play both for a while to know the subtleties.

Generally the more expensive you get the better the wood and components and care put into building the guitar, generally the more options are available to you to custom tailor your sound as well. This is why generally the most expensive instruments are the custom maid ones like Fender Custom Shop because basically they are charged with making you the perfect guitar for you.

If you are looking at Teles, especially Tele customs I suggest you look at this website http://www.carvin.com They make an excellent representation of a tele and you can have it built however you want it.

This says it all!
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
    Originally posted by JofZ

This says it all!

I love car people.

It's like the difference between a standard 3 series and a 330Ci Then theres the M3.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • yeah, the one thing i really noticed when i played a mexi tele at my local guitar store was that the tuners suck. If i get one I'll probably switch them to grovers or something. I liked that maple neck though.
    Originally posted by JSP552003
    yeah, the one thing i really noticed when i played a mexi tele at my local guitar store was that the tuners suck. If i get one I'll probably switch them to grovers or something. I liked that maple neck though.

good call. Grovers are nice. I really like locking tuners because they facilitate easy restringing and don't lose pitch.

heres a link for you.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead/Grover_Tuners.ssc
  • I see the 1 thing I think looks really cool is the rounded fingerboard edges. I assume this is just exactly what it says. Seems like it would be so friggin comfy for moving your hand up and down the neck.

I was also wondering about the sharpe 52 style body or whatever it says. I assume by the look of it that this a thinner less "square" edged body as compared to the average tele.

Oh and exhausted just the fact that ur ultimate guitar is an american helps alot.

Thanks guys.
    the square edge just refers to a smaller chamfer radius on the edges of the body. the body itself wouldn't be thinner though.

now, yes my american tele is my ultimate guitar but bear in mind that i've redone the electronics entirely. the bridge and tuners have been excellent except i've rusting out the saddle height screws with perspiration over the years. and the weight, balance feel etc have been great.
    Originally posted by exhausted
    the square edge just refers to a smaller chamfer radius on the edges of the body. the body itself wouldn't be thinner though.

now, yes my american tele is my ultimate guitar but bear in mind that i've redone the electronics entirely. the bridge and tuners have been excellent except i've rusting out the saddle height screws with perspiration over the years. and the weight, balance feel etc have been great.

you can always changes those saddles with graph tech's for 36 bucks. Graphite dosen't rust and you break less strings. You don't have the buzz problem anymore but not being metal helps eliminate the buzz too.
    you can always changes those saddles with graph tech's for 36 bucks. Graphite dosen't rust and you break less strings. You don't have the buzz problem anymore but not being metal helps eliminate the buzz too.

i will at some point. right now, it's set up fine so it ain't broke.
    Originally posted by exhausted
    i will at some point. right now, it's set up fine so it ain't broke.

indeed. good rule. I'm holding off on the Les Paul too even though it really needs them.

The new Strat will get them. I've already decided.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    I love car people.

It's like the difference between a standard 3 series and a 330Ci Then theres the M3.

It is a great analogy!
    I use the Honda and Acura example all the time. It is nice to see someone else doing the same. Bravo
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • jodijodi Posts: 183
    i've got a fender squir. bought it 10 years ago..
    made in china or indonesia
    like the way the strings bend. a good guitar to play powercords..
    There's a light,... when my baby's in my arms...
    And I know she's reached my heart,... in thin air
    good call. Grovers are nice. I really like locking tuners because they facilitate easy restringing and don't lose pitch.

heres a link for you.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead/Grover_Tuners.ssc

I've seen people talk about these locking tuners in a few other threads, looked at the link, how do they actually work? They look like other tuners, what's so great about them?
    8-8-09 Calgary
    My URL