Options

Another Question

JSP552003JSP552003 Posts: 222
edited January 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Does anyone know about these or had any experience with them? Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dllViewItem&item=2368592747&category=38074
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Sorry...

Haven't ever seen or heard anything like that. At first I thought it was an attenuator... but it's all pre-power amp. So I can't even imagine what it does. In fact, I would be really interested in what exactly it does, and why that box is specifically for Fender Hot Rod amps.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    JSP552003JSP552003 Posts: 222
    Do you think that by using this thing then you would end up having to replace the tubes more often because you can drive them harder at low volumes?
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    that simply looks like a volume pot in the effects loop. no different than putting a volume pedal in your effect loop from what i can see. yes, you could hammer the pre-amp tubes harder but the power amp tubes are still not getting driven very hard. a lot of the sweetness comes from power tube distortion and you wouldn't get that with this.

looks kinda goofy to me. bets are it's just two jacks and a pot in a box.

a real, useful attentuator goes after the power amp and before the speaker and needs to be specific to the impedance of the speaker.

yes, you would end up wearing out tubes fast with an attentuator but you're also getting to experience some of the richness they provide when they are pushed harder.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by exhausted
    that simply looks like a volume pot in the effects loop. no different than putting a volume pedal in your effect loop from what i can see. yes, you could hammer the pre-amp tubes harder but the power amp tubes are still not getting driven very hard. a lot of the sweetness comes from power tube distortion and you wouldn't get that with this.

looks kinda goofy to me. bets are it's just two jacks and a pot in a box.

a real, useful attentuator goes after the power amp and before the speaker and needs to be specific to the impedance of the speaker.

yes, you would end up wearing out tubes fast with an attentuator but you're also getting to experience some of the richness they provide when they are pushed harder.

Tubes are cheaper than eardrums or lawsuits.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.