Marshall 100hdfx

JSP552003JSP552003 Posts: 222
edited April 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Who was the guy on here that bought the Marshall 100hdfx halfstack a while back? How do you like it? I've been looking for a cheap SS halfstack and I have it down to either the Marshall mg100hdfx or the randall rh100. How good is the distortion, clean, and effects? Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ShredShred Posts: 28
    look man im not being funny but that as a stack is a major rip off.

the combo is a 100watt solid state with about 3 or 4 effects chorus, delay etc. for about £200 which is a good deal

the stack is no differnt, still only 100watts, still solid state and has the same effects n that,

but its £500 (twice the price and £100 on top of that)
    its harder to transport
    and even if u was to play a gig with it, it would be mic'd up through a set of p.a's anyway

£300 that u dont need to spend

do yourself a favour and buy the combo
  • JSP552003JSP552003 Posts: 222
    come on I know someone here bought the mg not too long ago
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    yeah it was me who got one. Its a nice sounding stack. As it is valvestate its a lot more reliable than a full valve amp sure it aint the same as fully loaded valve amp but it does me just fine in my band and its plenty loud enough for playing local pubs and clubs. Im a proper working sound engineer so yeah i always mic it up. Remember volume aint everything its overall clarity of sound over your whole band mix that counts. And it looks nicer to have a half stack than a combo. I got it at a cheaper price too here in the uk and even without it being cheaper it didnt work out to be overly much more expensive than the combo version. A mate of mine had the combo and i did a straight A-B test between the 2 of them and the stack definately is louder due to the 4x12 as opposed to the single cone in the combo. I rarely use the FX in the head as i run my designated pedal board through the FX loop which has been tailored by me for my sound over the last couple of years. Its a good head and cab deal in my opinion even though i cant say im overly keen on the digital reverb (prefer the spring reverb in my old fender solidstate, not to mention the clean channel)
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • JSP552003JSP552003 Posts: 222
    thanks. Would I be better off with the mg or the randall for what I play (AIC, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Metallica, PJ everynow and then, et.c)? Does anyone else have one of these or any input?
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    the band im in does alot of PJ and AIC covers and it does the job for me. I cant say ive ever tried a randall so i cant comment on it. I will say though, and im sure alot of people will agree with me on this, dont expect much from a marshall for your clean sound.
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • Originally posted by kigcat
    the band im in does alot of PJ and AIC covers and it does the job for me. I cant say ive ever tried a randall so i cant comment on it. I will say though, and im sure alot of people will agree with me on this, dont expect much from a marshall for your clean sound.

i disagree partly. i understand that you can surpass a marshall's clean tones with say (sorry if this is a cliche) a fender hot rod deluxe. however, check out the clean on the marshall avt series (particularly the avt50), its a lovely clean sound, the best marshall clean imo, but, each to his own.
    seems that needlessly its getting harder
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by |-Release-|
    i disagree partly. i understand that you can surpass a marshall's clean tones with say (sorry if this is a cliche) a fender hot rod deluxe. however, check out the clean on the marshall avt series (particularly the avt50), its a lovely clean sound, the best marshall clean imo, but, each to his own.

yeah tone is subjective. If you like a wooly british clean with warmish character you will like the marshall clean tone.

If you like glassy crisp clean with loads of headroom you'll prefer fender.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.