pickup wiring

JSP552003JSP552003 Posts: 222
edited July 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
well a while back i had put emgs in my lespaul special sl and now i'm not liking the sound of em anymore so i'm thinking about puting the stock gibsons back in. going to order a kit from stewmac that has all the extra wire, pots, switch, input jack, etc. that i'll need

now here's where the tricky part comes in. the tech who put my EMGs in cut the wires short on the old gibsons, actually asked this question before, just splice wires to make them long enough no big deal, but the thing is all this time i thought the gibson lp special sl came with 490R/498T but all the diagrams show them having 4 wires coming from each pu but mine only has one sheilded wire, and you're suppose to connect the metal sheilded part to ground, any way to find out what kind of pu's these are (no way you guys could tell anyway without pics i know ha)? all they say is Gibson USA on the back and they're plated pickups, just kinda caught me off guard unless some of the older 498t/496r's only had the one shielded wire, just curious as to what pickups they are

so to wire the shield to ground i can just splice another wire for that right? and also from this diagram (#0133 Les Paul Wiring Kit) looks like i also ground the caps on the volume pots right?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Supplies:_Wiring_kits/1/Wiring_Kit_for_Les_Paul/Instructions/I-1217.html#details

seems simple enough, just wanted to check on a few things before i try it myself...hope this all makes sense to someone..besides just me haha thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments