Orange Amps

FarfromlukinFarfromlukin Posts: 38
edited July 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
A coworker just told me about orange amps and said that they have good clean and great overdrive. I've never heard of these amps before. Does anybody know how good they are? does the overdrive compare to Marshall and the clean to fender? and about how much are they?
I am the Lizard King I can do anything
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I prefer Marshall's overdrive and Fender's clean channel, but Orange is good for both overdrive and clean sounds:

http://www.orangeamps.com/
  • orange rocks!! expensive tho

orange would be my 3rd best amp

1. hiwatt
    2. rivera
    3. orange

setup i want is a hiwatt 50watt lead head on a 4x12 orange cab
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • "setup i want is a hiwatt 50watt lead head on a 4x12 orange cab"

Heh heh, never would of though of that setup ;)

I would like the same thing. Well a dr504, on a orange cab, or an original Hiwatt.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    my main amp is an Orange AD15/12.

It's british, more voxy than marshall. The big Oranges are strong very clean when asked and they have a very british (woolly) overdrive/distortion. I personally love the clean, but it's not a fender clean. I guess yeah it's similar to a Marshall sound but it's more of it's own general tone. Think wooly classic rock overdrive. For instance the first Black Sabbath stuff was on Oranges and Liam Gallager uses Oranges. The tube compliment of the new Rockerverb series is very american (6v6) so the fender sounds will be in there I'm sure and the gain stages are probably boogie inspired.

Just check them out, http://www.orange-amps.com
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Their amps have a specific sorta tone, I agree with them being on the Vox side of the British tone spectrum. Well-built amps, for sure... I'm a fan of American tubes (6L6, 6V6, 5881, etc), so I can't say I prefer them, but they have their place.

But their cabs are the best... I don't think I've ever seen a cabinet that's better constructed than an Orange cab. A 2x12 with Vintage 30's or a 4x12 with Greenbacks... I'd take one of each, please...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • thanks for the responses. I checked out the site pretty cool stuff I think I'm going to go check one out eventhough the closest store in my area that carries them is 45 miles away but if it will be for the perfect amp for me then it's totally worth it.
    I am the Lizard King I can do anything
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Their amps have a specific sorta tone, I agree with them being on the Vox side of the British tone spectrum. Well-built amps, for sure... I'm a fan of American tubes (6L6, 6V6, 5881, etc), so I can't say I prefer them, but they have their place.

But their cabs are the best... I don't think I've ever seen a cabinet that's better constructed than an Orange cab. A 2x12 with Vintage 30's or a 4x12 with Greenbacks... I'd take one of each, please...

check out the tube compliment of the new rockerverb. If I didn't know better I'd say they've been playing with mesa stuff around the Orange shop.

If you're looking for channel switching the TC's are excellent, because they are actually seperate channels.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    check out the tube compliment of the new rockerverb. If I didn't know better I'd say they've been playing with mesa stuff around the Orange shop.

If you're looking for channel switching the TC's are excellent, because they are actually seperate channels.

I abhor channel-switching. Give me a good preamp and a good power amp, and I'll do the rest, thank you!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.