Options

Need Pick-up info.

FarfromlukinFarfromlukin Posts: 38
edited January 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have a Tele and I want to get a beefier sound from the neck pick up. I don't know anything about pick-ups so i was wondering if you guys could give me some info.

Thanks,

Jerry
I am the Lizard King I can do anything
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/products/teles.shtml

have a look at that and see if anything catches your eye after reading through it.

i have vintage stacks in my tele and i am really happy with how much more range they have, including low end.

others here like the quarter-pound as well.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    The difficult thing about the neck position in a Tele, is the smaller size of the position. There are higher-output pickups available, and Seymour Duncan is definitely the place to look. The fortunate thing about neck-position pickups is that there is more pronounced string vibration in that position, so even smaller pickups can put out serious levels.

I have a Quarter-Pounder for my Tele in the bridge position, and it's the best thing I've ever put on a guitar. It's got beefy output, good tone, and great dynamics. However, when I swapped that in, I just removed the neck pickup and got an Esquire pick-guard to cover the hole. So I don't have a neck pickup or have any experience with the neck pickup options for Teles. I do know that the Quarter Pounder for the Tele neck is smaller than the Quarter Pounder for the Tele bridge... the bridge has 1/4" pole pieces (hence the Quarter Pounder) but the neck spot has slightly narrower poles. However, it will be higher output than a stock Tele neck pickup, and if my bridge version is any indication, I'd say it's worth looking at.

The Hot Tele rhythm pickup is the only other higher-output option for the neck position (rhythm pickup = neck pickup). Other than that, about the only option is to make a bigger hole for some of the other options (like Strat neck options). However, that will include modifying at least the pickguard, if not the actual routing of the body. So if you aren't confident, don't have a good tech, or don't have the money for these kind of modifications, you might be somewhat limited in your options.

Good luck!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.