Scalloped Fretboard

FarfromlukinFarfromlukin Posts: 38
edited April 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey, does anyone know what the advantages of a scalloped fretboard are and does anyone use one?
I am the Lizard King I can do anything
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    http://warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/scallope.htm

never played a scalloped neck though.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    More harmonic's I think you are able to play faster with more string pressure and the interaction of the wood in the fretboard is less. Many speed players love them. I find them amazingly un comfortable. Because it is so very hard to bend strings, it allows people with big strong hands to play fast without accidently flubbing notes by pulling on the strings.

Yngwie Malmsteen uses an entirely scalloped fretboard.

Steve Vai has only the top few frets scalloped.

I am not that good.

For those that don't know scalloping is gouging (scalloping) out the middle wood between the frets
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • ShredShred Posts: 28
    this is really dodgy, u shud only get ur frets scalloped if uve played one and liked it, it has advantages but one of its major disadvanatges is that its near impossible to bend the strings with a scalloped fretboard
  • Oh, I'm not planning on get my neck scalloped i was just curious to why people did it. And I guess i can say that you guys have answered my question and thanks.
    I am the Lizard King I can do anything
  • I never like them, I've tried them, but I have no use for it. It's better for speedy tapping metal players, and you can get a little vibrato out of it by pushing down on the strings into the deeper space between the frets, and you can actually ring a note with a lighter touch, but I like to feel that wood under the string.
    You can bend with it like that, but it is amazingly uncomfortable. I need to wear work gloves to play like that!:D

I think the tone is more metallic and worse, but that's just my ear. Some guitarists do hollow out a little at certain spots for certain notes they play a lot.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • whatever Yngwie plays i won't touch. He plays fast, but has anyone heard "I am a viking"? It's the worst song ever. It's so bad it's funny. Like the power rangers or howard the duck. Also, scalloped fretboards are a gimick. Just get Dunlop 6100 fretwire, it's huge and will give you plenty of space to shred and won't mess with the feel and touch of the guitar as much.
    Let Ralph debate!

And you stare at me
    In your Jesus Christ pose
    Arms held out
    Like you've been carrying a load