Assistance please!

FarfromlukinFarfromlukin Posts: 38
edited July 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I just finished a side job and have about $1200 to spend on some new equipment and my amp is starting to go. I'm thinking a marshall avt50 for the amp and possibly a powerhouse strat. I really want a strat and the powerhouse sounds like a good guitar but if you guys have any info about them that would help out a lot. Or would I be better off just getting a mexi strat?
I am the Lizard King I can do anything
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• avt50 blows, i shouldnt say blows...which one the combo or half stack? i played the combo and i did not care for it...on a rating 1-10 it was like a 5.5

i personally would go for the Fender Fat Strat...great sound, but i would not order it online, go to your local shop or guitar center and im sure they will have em...mine was 400$ (because of the sunburst)
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • I would never buy a guitar online I'm gonna play them before I buy but I was thinking a combo amp. I have a 30 watt marshall right now and it is starting to go and I want to upgrade it.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    A Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb RI would be a much better amplifier purchase. All the tones you seek can be obtained through various routes the initial tone of that amplifier is legendary.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • DieasGreyDieasGrey Posts: 124
    I think the AVTs sound better than the MG DFX's as far as Lower end Marshalls go.
    One of my amps is an Avt150 head with JCM2000 cab.
    i give it a 7.5/10.
    Ive had a Mg35dfx( i think thats what the wattage was) and didnt care for it
    ive also had the Mg30CD and that blew ass

The best i have:
    1989 50w Plexi-head
    100w JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead

The Fender sounds much better than both but now your comparing a
    $800 amp to a $500 amp(Avt50)

Id say stay away from crates.a personal bias maybe but ive never had a durable one.

From experience i would go all out on the amp if you have a decent guitar right now. Spend the extra money for a tube amp. Youll be happier in the long run. My vote would go to the Fender as well if you want to spend the cash.
    No one is Righteous.......
  • thanks for your imput. another thing though i play a lot of classic rock and heavier rock, and i hear bad things about fender amps overdrive sound. however most of the people that i received this info. from are die hard marshall fans. what do you guys think about the overdrive on a fender?
  • the overdrive on a fender amp wont get you your heavy rock sound, but the clean channals on most fender tube amps are beautiful! most fender amps take pedals well too so if you hook up a pedal to it your set

and yes the AVTs do sound better than the MG but the AVT is like the "shit" tube amp...
    the reason why marshall is good is because you can use them for any type of genre (metal, alternative, punk, etc) but i personally dont care for marshall, but i do love the old plexis and the jcm900...the jcm800 combo sounds like shit just to let you know...the jcm2000 combo sounds better than the half stack
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    thanks for your imput. another thing though i play a lot of classic rock and heavier rock, and i hear bad things about fender amps overdrive sound. however most of the people that i received this info. from are die hard marshall fans. what do you guys think about the overdrive on a fender?

You are correct in that on amp distortion on two channel fenders usually sucks balls. The reason, it shouldn't be there in the first place. The Hot Rod Deluxe series would be far better served without the extra channel and gain options. They don't use the right components to make the overdrive in those amps sound proper.

The 65DRRI, has no seperate crunch or distortion channel. Why? Because it's completely unnessary to include on board and it would only muddle the otherwise pristine tone. Channel switching? We don't need no stinking channel switching! Now, the beautiful clean and mildly overdriven tones of a fender tube amp are outstanding, add a boost and a light overdrive and you have blues all day, add something with a little more compression mids and gain and it'll nail any classic rock tone you want. Still not satisfied? Swap the speaker out for a Celestion Vintage 30 or even better the H30 that's just been re-released and it will break up sooner and have more hair like the british amps you love. Quite frankly the AVT 50 doesn't have the balls to ring out what you want. you can the DRRI for 600 used all day some even cheaper. It's going to have a looser bass response than the usual Marshall due to the big bottle 6L6's instead of the tighter EL34 but you will get closer to the tone you wish to achieve with that amp and some solid outboard pedals than you will with the AVT 50, and you'll be happier in the long run because the DRRI will hold more value than the AVT 50.

The guy that understands fenders and channel switching is a former fender employee named Paul Rivera. If you want something with channel switching in a marshall crunch/ fender clean for under a grand I suggest looking up Fender amps from the late 70's and early 80's and also the Rivera Chubster 40.

For the record, the MG's are built in Korea and are completely solid state they have a gritter tone due to this, some like that tone.

The AVT's are of higher quality and built in Britain, they are hybrids with a solid state power amp and a tube preamp, some prefer this tone which is a little smoother than the full solid state.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • thanks again for all of the input. I guess the last step is to go to the store and play around with different amps and pedals and find what i'm looking for and i'll be set.